1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of Human body

1. Jul 19, 2006 #1
    I am having a lot of trouble trying to find the moment of inertia of myself, a male 5'10", and 165lbs. It seems as if it should be simple but am unsure how to take this one on. Any help would be great thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2006 #2

nazzard

Gold Member

Hello thatsamazing10 :cool:

The moment of inertia will certainly depened on the posture (does the person spread his legs/arms?). I'm not sure about the mass distribution in a human body and haven't found a scheme for usual limb masses yet. Maybe the biologists in this forum can help you out with that? :smile:

But for an easy start you might assume an even mass distribution along a cylinder before trying to model more difficult postures.

Regards,

nazzard

4. Jul 19, 2006 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not really a cylinder..... I would say it's more of a rectangular prism

5. Jul 20, 2006 #4

nazzard

Gold Member

Just had a look in the mirror :uhh: ... and ... you are right! I do look like a prism! :surprised :redface:

Now, calculating a lollipop-shape would be cool! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  6. Jul 20, 2006 #5

nazzard

Gold Member

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?