Moment of Inertia of Human body

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the moment of inertia of a male individual who is 5'10" and 165lbs. Suggestions are made to assume an even mass distribution along a cylinder or rectangular prism before attempting to model more complex postures. A poster with various methods for calculating the moment of inertia is also shared for reference.
thatsamazing10
I am having a lot of trouble trying to find the moment of inertia of myself, a male 5'10", and 165lbs. It seems as if it should be simple but am unsure how to take this one on. Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello thatsamazing10 :cool:

The moment of inertia will certainly depened on the posture (does the person spread his legs/arms?). I'm not sure about the mass distribution in a human body and haven't found a scheme for usual limb masses yet. Maybe the biologists in this forum can help you out with that? :smile:

But for an easy start you might assume an even mass distribution along a cylinder before trying to model more difficult postures.

Regards,

nazzard

It's not really a cylinder... I would say it's more of a rectangular prism

Office_Shredder said:
It's not really a cylinder... I would say it's more of a rectangular prism

Just had a look in the mirror :uhh: ... and ... you are right! I do look like a prism! :redface:

Now, calculating a lollipop-shape would be cool! :cool:

Last edited:
I've found a nice poster which might be helpful. Several methods for determining the moment of inertia along certain axes are discussed.

http://www.univ-valenciennes.fr/congres/3D2006/Posters/Poster%20-%20Damavandi.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the moment of inertia of the human body?

The moment of inertia of an object is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. In the case of the human body, it is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate the body around different axes.

2. How is the moment of inertia of the human body calculated?

The moment of inertia of the human body can be calculated by taking the sum of the individual moments of inertia of all the body's segments, such as the arms, legs, torso, etc. This can be a complex calculation as it involves taking into account the distribution of mass and shape of each segment.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of the human body?

The moment of inertia of the human body is affected by several factors, including body composition, body shape, and body proportions. Generally, the more mass an object has and the further it is from the axis of rotation, the greater its moment of inertia will be.

4. Why is the moment of inertia of the human body important?

The moment of inertia of the human body is important for understanding and predicting human movement, such as in sports or physical therapy. It also plays a role in determining the difficulty of various physical activities, as well as the risk of injury.

5. Can the moment of inertia of the human body be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of the human body can be changed through changes in body composition, such as gaining or losing weight, or through changes in body position and posture. This can have an impact on an individual's physical performance and capabilities.