1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of Infinite Rod

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A thin rod extends along the x-axis from x= +b to infinity. It has a non-uniform linear mass density of A/x[itex]^{4}[/itex] where A is a constant with units of kg m3. Calculate the moment of inertia of the rod for rotation about the origin.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I know that you have to put the rod in a coordinate system, break it up into small pieces, take the sum of the those, take the limit as n goes to infinity, and integrate.
    So, I basically want to [itex]\int[/itex]x^2dx because the word "thin" suggest that the y-coordinates do not matter. I understand that by breaking the rod into small pieces and choosing one, I have a [itex]\Delta[/itex]m which I need to relate in terms of dx. I can do this using using the [itex]\frac{\Delta m}{M}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{\Delta x}{A/x^{4}}[/itex], where [itex]\Delta m[/itex] is my piece of mass, M is the total mass, [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is my small width, and then A/x[itex]^{4}[/itex] is my linear mass density. But I don't really know where this b and infinity and limits of integration come into play. :( If any can help me get started, that would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi chromium1387! :smile:
    yes :smile:

except that's not the way linear density works …

the mass of a length L is linear density time L, so the mass of [x , x+∆x] is A∆x/x4 :wink:
    you're adding (integrating) the moment of inertia for every [x , x+∆x]

so you start at one end of the rod, and go to the other … ∫b

4. Apr 13, 2012 #3
    Ohhh.. My bad. Silly algebra mistake.
    And that makes sense. I'm just used to placing one end at the origin.
    Sooo, after I integrate and everything, I get [itex]\frac{MA}{b}[/itex]?
    Thanks for your reply!

5. Apr 13, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm :redface: … why do you keep talking about M ? :confused:

apart from that, yes :smile:

6. Apr 13, 2012 #5
    I don't know.. haha. It's just incorporated into the density, right? :P

7. Apr 13, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it doesn't exist!! :biggrin:

8. Apr 13, 2012 #7
    okay. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook