Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of mass

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am trying to find moment of inertia of various random 3D shapes and I have few general questions.

I take very thin 'plates' of the shape, calculate moment of inertia of that area, multiply it by thickness of one 'plate unit', also I add a square distance it is from the origin multiplied by a mass of that unit plate. Since I need to find out moment of inertia around z axis and the shapes are symmetrical by x and y axis I get the general formula like this:

I = ƩdI = 2*(dI_area * density * t + distance^2 * dm);

where dI_area is a moment of inertia of unit plate
    t is a thickness of unit plate
    distance is a distance from origin
    dm = Area*t*density; where Area is area of thin plate (or unit plate);

I would like someone to comment on my actions because I do not obtain right results using this method.

Thank you in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In general, for random shapes, the method won't work.
    Presumably the shapes have a lot of rotational symmetry?

If you have a solid of rotation about the x-axis (say) and you need the moment of inertia about the z-axis, then you'd need to divide the solid into cylinders or rings - and work out the moment of inertia of each element (ring or cylinder) about the z axis ... then add them up.

i.e. what is the moment of inertia of a (hollow) cylinder length L, radius r, and thickness dr (density ##\rho##) oriented along the x-axis and centered on the z-axis, about the z axis? What is if is not centered on the z axis?

i.e. what is the moment of inertia about the z axis of a disk radius r centered on the x axis situated between x and x+dx?

It may be easier to find the moment of inertia about he x and y axis, and use the perpendicular axis theorem - but not usually.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook