How can I accurately calculate the moment of inertia for random 3D shapes?

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the moment of inertia of various 3D shapes by using thin plates and a general formula that takes into account the moment of inertia of the unit plate, its thickness, distance from the origin, and the density. However, they are not obtaining the correct results and are seeking feedback. The suggested method may not work for random shapes with rotational symmetry and it may be easier to find the moment of inertia about the x and y axes and use the perpendicular axis theorem.
power11110
Hello,

I am trying to find moment of inertia of various random 3D shapes and I have few general questions.

I take very thin 'plates' of the shape, calculate moment of inertia of that area, multiply it by thickness of one 'plate unit', also I add a square distance it is from the origin multiplied by a mass of that unit plate. Since I need to find out moment of inertia around z axis and the shapes are symmetrical by x and y-axis I get the general formula like this:

I = ƩdI = 2*(dI_area * density * t + distance^2 * dm);

where dI_area is a moment of inertia of unit plate
t is a thickness of unit plate
distance is a distance from origin
dm = Area*t*density; where Area is area of thin plate (or unit plate);

I would like someone to comment on my actions because I do not obtain right results using this method.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
In general, for random shapes, the method won't work.
Presumably the shapes have a lot of rotational symmetry?

If you have a solid of rotation about the x-axis (say) and you need the moment of inertia about the z-axis, then you'd need to divide the solid into cylinders or rings - and work out the moment of inertia of each element (ring or cylinder) about the z axis ... then add them up.

i.e. what is the moment of inertia of a (hollow) cylinder length L, radius r, and thickness dr (density ##\rho##) oriented along the x-axis and centered on the z-axis, about the z axis? What is if is not centered on the z axis?

i.e. what is the moment of inertia about the z axis of a disk radius r centered on the x-axis situated between x and x+dx?

It may be easier to find the moment of inertia about he x and y axis, and use the perpendicular axis theorem - but not usually.

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia of mass?

Moment of inertia of mass, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is determined by the mass of an object and its distribution around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia of mass calculated?

The moment of inertia of mass is calculated by taking the integral of the mass of each infinitesimal element of the object, multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the equation I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass of each element.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia of mass?

The units of moment of inertia of mass depend on the units of mass and distance used. In SI units, the moment of inertia is measured in kilograms per meter squared (kgm²). In imperial units, it is measured in slug-foot squared (slugft²).

4. How does the moment of inertia of mass affect an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of mass affects an object's rotational motion by determining how much torque is needed to produce a given angular acceleration. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate at the same angular acceleration as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia of mass?

The concept of moment of inertia of mass is important in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used in designing structures to withstand rotational forces, analyzing the stability of vehicles, and understanding the performance of objects in rotational motion, such as figure skaters and divers.