Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of swivel chair

1. Sep 3, 2011 #1
    Question:
    While sitting in a swivel chair, you push against the floor withyour heel to make the chair spin. The 7.1 frictional force is appliedat a point 45 from the chair'srotation axis, in the direction that causes the greatest angularacceleration.
    If that angular acceleration is 1.5 , what is thetotal moment of inertia about the axis of you and the chair?
    Express your answer using two significant figures. (?=kg*m^2)

I solved it like :

Its actually torque that is the tendency to rotate an object is equal to the perpendicular force at a distance --- T= F * d (Newton-meter is SI unit) -- i found out the torque and then there z relation between Torque and angular acceleration and Moment of Inertia similar to Newton's second law F=MA only the difference is that its not for linear processes but rotational processes (So here Torque is the force , Mass is Moment of Inertia and Linear acceleration is converted to angular acceleration) so T = I . a (T = moment of a force , I = Moment of Inertia , a = angular acceleration ) so it would be like I = T / a = ****(7.1 N * 0.45 m) / 1.5 radpersec^2 **** I = (Ans) Kg/m^2 >>>>>>>>> do check it !

Then for my personal experience i did following experiment :-

Observation = While sitting on a swivel chair , i pushed against the floor with my heel to make the chair of 8 kg spin and i used stop watch to calculate its angular velocity , after 1 second and 20 centiseconds (approx) as calculated it maintained constant 1 rev/sec velocity for further 5 seconds . The frictional force was applied at a 55 cm from the chair's rotation axis. I weigh 65 kg.

Find moment of inertia about my axis and chair ----Answer = kg * m^2

Solution :-

1. Since constant angular velocity is calculated through experiment, we can apply formula to measure constant angular acceleration (radi/sec)

*Angular acceleration = omega (angular velocity) / time
    a (angular acceleration) = 6.92 / 1.2 = 5.76 radi / sec^2

2. To calculate frictional force applied , Newton's of law of inertia can be used :-
    F = m * a

F (tangential) = m * a (tangential)

//a (tan) = r * a (angular.a)//

<F (tan) = m * r a (angular.a)>

(where F = frictional force , m = mass , r = moment arm and a = angular mass)

Lets suppose i need to add both masses = 73 Kg

F = 73 * 0.55 * 5.76 = 231.264 N

3. Calculate Torque = T = F x r = 127.20 Nm

4. In order to calculate Moment of inertia , use its relation with torque and angular acceleration = T = I * a (where T= torque, I= moment of inertia , a = angular acceleration)

I = T / a = 127.2 / 5.76

I = 22.0825 Kg.m^2

Note :-

Just check my observations out and if i'm wrong , how actually to find out moment of inertia or an irregular shaped body like swivel chair

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted