Moment of Inertia of two small bars

In summary, the Moment of Inertia for a uniform bar with two small balls glued at the ends is 2.33 kgm^2 and the Center of Mass is .6m from the center.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A uniform bar has two small balls glued to its ends. The bar is 2m long and has mass 4kg, while the balls each have mass .5kg and can be treated as point masses. Find the moment of inertia of this combination about each of the following axes: (a) an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center; (b) an axis perpendicular to the bar though one of the balls; (c) an axis parallel to the bar through both balls; (d) an axis parallel to the bar and .5m from it.

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried the formula: (1/12)(ML^2) but that got the wrong answer and i assume because the balls at the end changed it. I am not sure what to do... any help would be very much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the balls change the total moment of inertia. If you take a look at how the moment of inertia is defined for a rigid body of point masses then you should find the answers to your questions. If you don't find it in your book, I can recommend wikipedia :)

ok i believe i found the answers but I am not entirely sure if i did it all correctly so please correct me if my proceedure was wrong:

a) I = (1/12)(4kg)(2m)^2 + 2(.5kg)(1m)^2 = 1.33 + 1 = 2.33 kgm^2
the first part i got the formula as i described above. then for the last part: 2 is because there is a total of 2 balls (1 on each side) and .5kg is the mass of each then 1m is the distance the balls are from the center

b) I = (1/3)(4kg)(2m)^2 + .5kg(2m)^2 = 5.33 + 2 = 7.33 kgm^2
the first part i got from this formula: (1/3)(mass)(distance)^2
the second part(for the ball) i just have as (mass)(distance)^2

also, one more question: is there a way that i could throw the center of mass into a formula to find the moment of inertia? or do i have to break it up into 2 parts like this? because i found that the center of the mass, going from the center-point to the end-point, is .6m from the center. but i plugged it into formulas and it didnt come out right

Last edited:
jaredmt said:
also, one more question: is there a way that i could throw the center of mass into a formula to find the moment of inertia? or do i have to break it up into 2 parts like this? because i found that the center of the mass, going from the center-point to the end-point, is .6m from the center. but i plugged it into formulas and it didnt come out right

The Moment of Inertia for N point masses is defined as
[tex]I = \sum^{N}_{i=1} m_{i} r_{i}^{2}[/tex]

The Center of Mass for N point masses is
[tex]\vec{R} = \frac{\sum m_{i} \vec{r}_{i}}{\sum m_{i}}[/tex]

Considering that [tex]\vec{R}[/tex] is a vector and [tex]I[/tex] is a scalar, I can't think of any easy way to define one in terms of the other.

And considering that you are only dealing with 3 masses, it's probably easiest to just chug through the old-fashioned way.

ok, just makin sure I am not taking any long steps when there is a much shorter step. but i don't think finding the cm and plugging in a formula would make it any shorter anyways come to think of it.

but did i find the answers correctly? or did i just somehow luck out with the right answer using the wrong formulas? the 1st parts of each formula seemed right, i just had to plug the numbers in. but the second part, i not 100% sure. i don't see how else i could do it so I am 90% sure i have it all right

Both calculations look correct.

Just keep plugging along with that Parallel Axis Theorem :cool:

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of each particle's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing these products for all particles in the object.

What is the moment of inertia of two small bars?

The moment of inertia of two small bars can be calculated by treating each bar as a point mass and calculating the moment of inertia for each bar separately. These individual moments of inertia can then be added to get the total moment of inertia of the two bars combined.

How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass affects moment of inertia because it determines the distance of each particle from the axis of rotation. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with more mass concentrated closer to the axis of rotation.

What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is important in many areas of science and engineering, including rotational motion, mechanics, and structural design. It is also used in fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and vehicle dynamics.