1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia physics help

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1
    can anyone answer this for me? There was a steel beam 50 feet long. The entire Skeith construction crew (total weight: 6000 pounds) was standing at the center of the beam. Assume the modulus of elasticity is 29,000,000 pounds per square inch, the moment of inertia is 850 inches^4, the beam has simple pin connections at either end, and all loads other than the weight of the crew are disregarded.

How much will the beam deflect? Please round to the nearest tenth of an inch.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First off, please don't double (or triple) post.

Second, homework questions belong in the 'homework help' section of the forums. I'm moving this thread there now.

Third, to get help with homework questions, we ask that you post what you've tried, even if it's only as much as looking up relevant equations.

Give it a shot.

Welcome to the forums!
  4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    first sorry about the multiple postings.. 2nd its not homework its a trivia question and i would love to tell you i have tried solving it on my own however i don't know what some of those words even mean....i was just trying to get an answer to a trivia question. No big deal if you can't help :)
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4
    Is the load considered to be located at a single point, or is the crew spread out over a given distance?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?