1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia Problem

1. May 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wheel, with circumference 0.6 m and moment of inertial 43 kg m2 about its center, rotates about a frictionless axle with angular velocity 13 radians per second. A brake is applied which supplies a constant force to a point on the perimeter of the wheel of 9 N, tangent to the wheel and opposing the motion. How many revolutions will the wheel make before coming to rest?

2. Relevant equations
    KErotational=I*Omega2
    Torque=I*alpha
    I=M*R2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm lost at how to start this problem, I tried to get the deceleration caused by the 9N force applied on the wheel by Newton's Second Law but I couldn't get the mass, so i used the I=M*R2 equation to get the mass and then used F=M*a to find the deceleration, took that answer and divided by 2pi to find the revolutions, but the answer was off. What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The angular deceleration is given by [itex]a= \alpha r[/itex]. Find [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Then use the equations of rotational motion to find the total angular displacement from the initial angular velocity to rest.

4. May 9, 2009 #3
    I used a=alpha*r and i got the alpha to be .003, using Omegaf2=Omegai2+2*alpha*Theta i get 28166, but the answer should be 672.9

EDIT: nevermind, i got it, thanks!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook