How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a System of Particles?

In summary: A', i have: sqroot**( (2-11/13)^2 + (0-9/13)^2)**which results in 3 sqroot*34*/13, is this correct so far?Yes. - for the length of the first particle 'A', i have: sqroot**( (2-11/13)^2 + (0-9/13)^2)**which results in 3 sqroot*34*/13, is this correct so far?Yes, that's correct.
richardnumber
Hey everyone,

Im solving a group of questions based on a system of particles, A(2,0) with a mass of 4kg, B(0,1) with a mass of 6kg and C(1,1 ) with a mass of 3kg. I have to find the centre of mass and also calculate the moment of inertia.

To find the centre of mass I am attempting the following:

" 1/13 [(4.2) + (6.0) + (3.1)]= 3/13 "

" 1/13 [(4.0) + (6.1) + (3.1)]= 1 1/65 "

so centre or mass wud b? ... (3/13, 1 1/65 )

Im not sure if this is correct?

Also I am unsure of how to calculate the moment of inertia?

I really would appreciate any help,

Regards,

Richard

Physics news on Phys.org
richardnumber said:
" 1/13 [(4.2) + (6.0) + (3.1)]= 3/13 "
I assume you mean:
1/13 [(4*2) + (6*0) + (3*1)]= ??

That would be correct for the x-component, but your answer is not. Redo your arithmetic.

" 1/13 [(4.0) + (6.1) + (3.1)]= 1 1/65 "
Similar comments for the y-component.

Also I am unsure of how to calculate the moment of inertia?
The moment of inertia of a particle about some axis is mR², where R is the distance to the axis. Where's your axis?

oops! few mistakes there, yeah the correct answer would be (11/13, 9/13) ?? My axis is the centre of mass. how would I apply this to the system in this equation?

thank you so much for your help btw!

- Richard

Last edited:
richardnumber said:
oops! few mistakes there, yeah the correct answer would be (11/13, 9/13) ??
Good.
My axis is the centre of mass. how would I apply this to the system in this equation?
Start by finding each particle's distance (or distance squared) from the center of mass. Then calculate the moment of inertia of each particle. Add them to get the total for the system.

thanks again for your quick reply! really helpful! :D

- for the length of each particle to the centre of mass I am using:

d = *squareroot* [ (a-x)^2 + (b - y)^2 ]

where (x , y) = centre of mass position and (a, b) = particles position.

Following this and using mR^2, I am getting some odd numbers. for the first particle the results
are: 28 164/169??

thank you again for your help!

richardnumber said:
- for the length of each particle to the centre of mass I am using:

d = *squareroot* [ (a-x)^2 + (b - y)^2 ]

where (x , y) = centre of mass position and (a, b) = particles position.
That should work fine.

Following this and using mR^2, I am getting some odd numbers. for the first particle the results
are: 28 164/169??
No, that's not right. Show how you got that result, step by step.

well for the length of the first particle 'A', i have: sqroot**( (2-11/13)^2 + (0-9/13)^2)**

which results in 3 sqroot*34*/13, is this correct so far? with mR^2, will 'm' represent the mass of each particle? if so, i get 7 41/169, different arithmetic :s thanks again!

Yes, that's right. Do you really have to work in fractions? This will be much easier if you just use decimals.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but for rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by taking the sum of the product of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This can be represented as I = Σmr², where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units of moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance in the calculation. In the SI system, the units are kg.m², while in the imperial system, the units are slug.ft².

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

The moment of inertia affects the rotational motion of a body by determining how much torque is needed to produce a certain angular acceleration. A larger moment of inertia means a larger torque is needed to produce the same angular acceleration as a body with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How can moment of inertia be changed?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body can be changed by altering its mass distribution or its shape. For example, a longer object will have a larger moment of inertia than a shorter object with the same mass.