How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for an Object Along a Diagonal Axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the moment of inertia of an object with a constant mass, located in region R, around the line passing through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1). The density of the object is given by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 and the distance from any point (x,y,z) to the line is needed to solve for r^2. The shape of the object and its mass distribution are also brought up as factors in determining the moment of inertia. The formula for finding the distance between a point and a line is provided as a solution to the main question. There is also mention of different types of physics classes and the integration process for an unbounded
MatthewPutnam
An object with constant mass <delta> is located in region R. Find the moment of inertia around the line through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, density is not constant... it is given by x^2 + y^2 + z^2.

I know that moment of inertia is the integral of r^2 * dm, and I can do everything except that for r^2, I need the distance from any point (x,y,z) to the line through (0,0,0) and (1,1,1). This part has everyone here stumped!

Do you think the shape of the object makes any difference? :)

I found the anwser to the distance, but ill put it up in a sec. Yeah, as for the shape, that part makes no sense to me. Its not bounded, how can speaking of inertia even make sense?

I know this doesn't help in any way, but I'm just curious.
I would have thought that you would need to know mass distribution of the object. Isn't that the only way you can determine the location of the centre of mass and then from that you find the distance from the axis through the centre of mass to the actual axis of rotation.

I think this question must come from a statics class or CE class, but probably not a classical mechanics class.

Any physics class I took would ask for the momentS of inertia or the intertia tensor.

If the object has no bound, what are going to integrate from? 0 -> oo?

Anyway, this will answer your main question

The distance between a point and a line is:

d: (P x L) / |P|

where
P: the vector from line point 1 (origin in this case) to the point in question (x,y,z) in this case.

L: the vector of the line

x: the cross product.

Another way to look at it is that the distance from (x,y,z) to the line would be the the magnitude of the line to (x,y,z) times the sine of the angle inbetween: |xyz|sin(theta)
and using the cross product identity you get the right answer.

1. What is the moment of inertia problem?

The moment of inertia problem refers to the difficulty in determining the rotational inertia of an object, which is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It involves calculating the distribution of mass and shape of an object in order to determine its moment of inertia.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion, while mass is a measure of how difficult it is to change an object's linear motion. In other words, moment of inertia takes into account not only the mass of an object, but also its distribution of mass and shape.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with larger mass, greater distance from the axis of rotation, and irregular shapes will have a larger moment of inertia compared to objects with smaller mass, closer distance from the axis of rotation, and more symmetrical shapes.

4. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is an infinitesimal mass element of the object. This requires knowledge of the object's mass distribution and shape, which can be obtained through measurements or geometric equations.

5. Why is understanding moment of inertia important in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it is crucial in understanding rotational motion, such as the spinning of a top or the movement of a wheel. It also helps in the design and analysis of rotating machinery, such as engines and turbines, and is essential in solving problems involving torque, angular acceleration, and angular momentum.