Understanding Moment of Inertia in a Rotational System

In summary, the conversation is about a question asking for the moment of inertia of a rigid rod with two suspended masses. The moment of inertia is calculated using the formula I = I(com) + M(L/3)^2 + m1(2L/3)^2 + m2(L/3)^2, but the teacher says that adding the masses is wrong. The figure provided shows the setup of the problem with the masses not rigidly attached to the stick. The discussion also touches on the concept of rigid attachment and whether or not the cord slipping on the pulley affects the setup.
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

hello everyone ,, can someone tell me if I got the moment of inertia right or wrong of this question :
Two blocks of masses m1 = 5 kg and m2 = 15 kg are suspended from the ends of 1.5 m
rigid rod of weight 75 N that can rotate about point P, as shown in the figure. The rod is
held in a configuration such that it makes an angle of 37° with the vertical, and then
released. The two blocks can be considered as point particles and the moment of inertia
of the rod about its center of mass is I(com) = ML^2/12.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I=I(com)+M(L/3)^2+m1(2L/3)^2+m2(L/3)^2 = (7/36)ML^2+(m2L^2/9)+(4m1L^2/9),, my teacher told me that adding m2 and m1 is wrong ,, but what i don't get ,, in some questions we add them ,, so is he right or wrong ??

Attachments

• Q4.JPG
    Q4.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And the figure shows what exactly?

Attach the figure.

sorry ,, forgot to add it

The masses are not rigidly attached to the stick, so don't include them when calculating the rotational inertia.

how come we don't include them ?? in the previous question (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314630) we added them to the moment of inertia ,, in Fundamentals of physics book there is a question in Rotation chapter (11) Q:57P ,, in the answer .. it I*Alfa = (mL^2(1)+ mL^2(2))*alfa and it's almost the same as the question but without angle (it's horizontal) but I equaled : (mL^2(1)+ mL^2(2)) (the rod is mass less in this question)
By rigidly ,, you mean it fixed and can't be taken away ? ,, BTW some questions say (without the cord slipping on the pulley) does it mean it fixed ?

Last edited:

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that determines its resistance to rotation about an axis. It is also known as rotational inertia or angular mass.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is represented by the symbol I and its unit is kg*m2.

What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by the mass of the object, its shape, and the distribution of the mass around the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass, greater distance from the axis, and more spread out mass distribution have a higher moment of inertia.

What is the significance of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps in understanding the rotational motion of objects. It is used in the design of rotating machinery and in calculations involving torque and angular acceleration.

How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of its resistance to linear motion. They are related but different physical properties and have different units of measurement.