1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia Question

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hello everyone ,, can someone tell me if I got the moment of inertia right or wrong of this question :
    Two blocks of masses m1 = 5 kg and m2 = 15 kg are suspended from the ends of 1.5 m
    rigid rod of weight 75 N that can rotate about point P, as shown in the figure. The rod is
    held in a configuration such that it makes an angle of 37° with the vertical, and then
    released. The two blocks can be considered as point particles and the moment of inertia
    of the rod about its center of mass is I(com) = ML^2/12.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=I(com)+M(L/3)^2+m1(2L/3)^2+m2(L/3)^2 = (7/36)ML^2+(m2L^2/9)+(4m1L^2/9),, my teacher told me that adding m2 and m1 is wrong ,, but what i don't get ,, in some questions we add them ,, so is he right or wrong ??

Attached Files:

• Q4.JPG
      Q4.JPG
      File size:
      42.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

And the figure shows what exactly?

4. May 17, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Attach the figure.

5. May 17, 2009 #4
    sorry ,, forgot to add it

6. May 17, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The masses are not rigidly attached to the stick, so don't include them when calculating the rotational inertia.

7. May 17, 2009 #6
    how come we don't include them ?? in the previous question (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314630) we added them to the moment of inertia ,, in Fundamentals of physics book there is a question in Rotation chapter (11) Q:57P ,, in the answer .. it I*Alfa = (mL^2(1)+ mL^2(2))*alfa and it's almost the same as the question but without angle (it's horizontal) but I equaled : (mL^2(1)+ mL^2(2)) (the rod is mass less in this question)
    By rigidly ,, you mean it fixed and cant be taken away ? ,, BTW some questions say (without the cord slipping on the pulley) does it mean it fixed ?

Last edited: May 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook