Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Moment of inertia question

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a rigid body with an inertia tensor I =[30, 0, 0; 0, 40, 0; 0, 0, 20] N m s^2 and angular velocity w=10j+10k rad/s. Determine the moment of inertia about an axis parallel to w and find the rotational kinetic energy.

The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure if the fact that this is the principal moment of inertia matters. Also, I thought this had something to do with the parallel axis theorem, but neither mass nor any distances are given. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that you have I along the principal axes will simplify the calculations but is not otherwise important.

Hint: look at how I transforms under coordinate transformation (i.e., rotation).

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    You will want to solve for the scalar form of I in the direction of w. So you will need to convert w to a unit vector and matrix multiply it on both sides of I to get a scalar value:

[tex]I = \hat{\omega}^T \bar{I} \hat{\omega}[/tex]

Knowing the scalar form for I and the magnitude of angular velocity you can simply get the rotational kinetic energy.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook