1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia question.

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Will the moment of inertia of a two dimensional rectangle (with sides a, b) whose axis is parallel to one of its sides and passes through its center of mass, be (1/12)M(a2+b2)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. If the axis is, say, the y axis, think of the lamina as a set of parallel thin strips in the x direction. They'll all have the same moment. I think the formula you quoted would be right for an axis perpendicular to the lamina.

4. Jan 3, 2013 #3
    But then wouldn't I be getting a moment of inertia equal to (Ma^2)/12 (supposing axis is parallel to a)?

5. Jan 3, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And what's wrong with that?

6. Jan 3, 2013 #5
    It's not that something's wrong with that, simply that it seemed a bit strange it would not depend on the other side too.

7. Jan 3, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's why I said to think of it as parallel strips across the axis. Adding more only increases the moment in proportion to the mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook