Moment of Inertia for Composite Object

In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a solid sphere and a solid cylinder, assuming they are rotatable about a certain axis. The attempt at a solution suggests that the sum of the moments about the centroid of the object be used.
theone

Homework Statement

for this composite object, what moment of inertia needs to be used if you were to sum the moments about the centroid of the object, [tex]\sum M=I\ddot\theta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

is it the sum of the [tex]I_z[/tex]for a solid sphere and a solid cylinder

Attachments

• Untitled4.png
    Untitled4.png
    455 bytes · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
Was there a question in there?
What makes you think the rotation is about the long axis?
What makes you think the black circle represents a sphere and not a disk?
What makes you think the rectangle represents a cylinder and not a flat block?

Simon Bridge said:
Was there a question in there?
What makes you think the rotation is about the long axis?
What makes you think the black circle represents a sphere and not a disk?
What makes you think the rectangle represents a cylinder and not a flat block?

i am guessing the circle is a hollow sphere and the rectangle a solid cylinder and that the thing rotates about the axis out of the page

is it the sum of the ##I_z## for a solid sphere and a solid cylinder

i am guessing the circle is a hollow sphere

Well, some uncertainty there, isn't it ?
Anyway, $$I\equiv\int r^2 dm$$should help you find the right ##I##. If that's too much or too complicated, google "parallel axis theorem".

i am guessing the circle is a hollow sphere...
... as opposed to, say, a solid sphere... or a solid disk... what are you basing your guess on?

note: a hollow sphere is commonly represented by a circle while a solid one would be represented by a colored-in circle... but maybe the person setting the question does things differently?
... and the rectangle a solid cylinder...
... why a hollow for the first shape and solid for the second one? Why not the other way around or maybe both hollow or both solid?
It's OK to make educated and informed guesses - but it is never OK to make blind guesses.
...and that the thing rotates about the axis out of the page
... OK. The working you did is for rotating about an axis along the length of the "cylinder". For an axis out of the page, where is the axis of rotation on the figure? The correct moment of inertia depends on it's position. Or, maybe, the question is just asking for which com inertias to apply the parallel axis theorem to? In which case, you want to look more closely at which com moment you have used for the "cylinder".

What I'm getting from your reply is that you do not know which axis is intended or what objects the shapes on the drawing are intended to represent. This is forcing you to make a LOT of assumptions. Bottom line is that you don't have enough information to complete the question as written.

If the question is really so wide open, you will need to make some sort of argument to support your assumptions. Maybe other questions like this one have used hollow spheres and solid cylinders? But maybe what is written above is not the complete problem statement as it was given to you? Right now it is not possible to properly advise you.

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important because it helps determine how much energy is required to change the rotational motion of an object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The calculation may vary depending on the shape and distribution of the object's mass.

3. What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with greater mass, larger dimensions, and more spread out mass will generally have a higher moment of inertia.

4. What are some real-world applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design structures, calculate the energy required for rotational motion, and analyze the performance of rotating objects such as gymnastics equipment or pole vaults.

5. How does moment of inertia relate to an object's stability?

The greater the moment of inertia of an object, the more stable it is. This is because objects with higher moment of inertia require more energy to rotate, making them less likely to be affected by external forces or changes in motion.