Moment of inertia (structural shapes)

In summary, Caleb says you should be able to compare the moment of inertia of different shapes and make sure they match. He also says tortional loading shouldn't be a problem in this situation.
famine
I'm working on a project to replace hollow structures, (pipe, sq. tube, ect...) with open structures, (channels, angle iron, ect...). It's been a while and I think that all I would have to do is compair the moment of inertia for each of these shapes and make sure that they match or are larger than that of the original shape.

example:
3" sch40 pipe, 3.5" OD, 3.068" ID
I=3.016

equivalent angle iron
4"x4"x1/4"
I=3.04

Sorry if this is a stupid question, it's been years since I've had to do anything like this.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might need to see if there are any other questions as to torsional rigidity etc. Depending on the loading involved, lateral-torsional buckling and/or torsional rigidity might come into play.

Thanks calebking

Tortional loading shouldn't be a problem in this situation

For stiffness comparing the moment of inertia is correct. Not sure what it's for but I agree with caleb, the torsional properties are quite different, and they are usually important. For example your steel angle will naturally twist when in bending and will eventually provide only it's lowest stiffness, Ixy (the I about a line 45 degrees to the legs, it becomes a V rather than L). S

So if I'm looking at this right the I that I would be getting withy a 4x4x1/4 angle would be somewhere in the realm of 1.22in^4 and that is what I need to be matching with the I of a round pipe? So for a 4x4 to match up with a 3" pipe I would need somewhere between 5/8"-3/4" plate to get an I above 3.

famine, you are picking up what I am laying down, yes between an L4x4x5/8 and an L4x4x3/4. That's unrestrained and in bending, again, do not know what your example is with the limited info provided. S

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a structural shape is a measure of its resistance to bending or torsional forces. It is a property that quantifies how the shape's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by integrating the area or volume of the shape with respect to its distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be calculated using geometric formulas specific to different shapes.

3. Why is moment of inertia important in structural design?

Moment of inertia is an important consideration in structural design because it affects the shape's ability to resist bending or torsional forces. A higher moment of inertia means a shape is more resistant to these forces, making it sturdier and less likely to deform under load.

4. How does the moment of inertia differ for different shapes?

The moment of inertia varies for different shapes depending on their geometry. For example, a hollow cylinder will have a higher moment of inertia than a solid cylinder with the same mass and dimensions. This is because more of the mass in a hollow cylinder is distributed farther from the axis of rotation, increasing its resistance to bending.

5. Can the moment of inertia be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be changed by altering the shape's geometry, such as increasing or decreasing the thickness or diameter. It can also be changed by redistributing the mass of the shape, for example, by adding weight to certain areas to increase the moment of inertia in those regions.