1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia (Units)

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am asked to convert moment of inertia of a spacecraft from slug-ft^2 to N-m^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Is this a trick question? Usually moment of inertia is expressed in kg-m^2 not N-m^2.

1 slug = 1 lbf-s^2/ft --> therefore 1 slug-ft^2 = 1 lbf-s^2-ft = 1.3558 N-s^2-m = 1.3558 (kg-m/s^2)-s^2-m = 1.3558 kg-m^2

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is correct. However, often when converting from such units to SI units, we "smuggle" in an extra factor. (I'm not familiar with imperial units, but I believe something similar happens in mechanics, where lbs can be converted to N).

So I don't know how appropriate this is for a spacecraft, but usually we assume that 1 kg of mass corresponds to g N of force (where g is the gravitational constant, about 9,8 depending on where on earth you are). This actually corresponds to "normal" language usage: we usually say we "weigh" 60 kg, while we actually mean that our mass is 60 kg, and we "weigh" 60g (about 600 N).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook