1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    helllo, im having trouble finding the moment of inertia for a square uniform plate with length h on the sides...how do you go about it when the interia is about the x axis....the z axis is perpendicular to the square in this case... i understand how to do it when it is with respect to the z axis...the double intergral and all but when its on the xaxis i get confused...how do you set that up.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be easier to do it for the x axis than for the z axis. I assume the origin is in the center of the plate, with the x axis being a line that divides the plate into two equal rectangles. Consider a mass element dm = σdxdy and integrate x^2dm over the area of the plate. The y integral is very simple since there is no function of y in the integrand. You just get h, which is constant for all x. All that is left is the integral of x^2.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Now when I integrate what do I integrate from 0 to h?

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the axis is as I assumed, it is from -h/2 to +h/2. By symmetry, you could do twice the integral from 0 to h/2 and get the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?