1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia

1. Feb 19, 2004 #1
    I'm don't really know how to find the momemt of inertia. I have two questions that I'm stuck on.

Two questions:

1. Find the moment of inertia of a sheet f mass M and uniform density which is in the shape of a rectangle of sides a and b, for rotations about an axis passing through its center and perpendicular to the sheet.

answer:Will I start with this I= (integral over A)M/A dA? How would I find the limits of integration and integrate this?

2. Find the moment of inertia of a thin uniform disk of mass M and radius a for rotations about an axis through a diameter of the disk.

answer: Will th answer be I=2M/a^2 (a^4/4)=Ma^2/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2004 #2
    Start with:

[tex] \int r^2 dm = \int r^2 \sigma dA = \sigma \int r^2 dA [/tex]

Where [itex] \sigma [/itex] is the constant density [itex] \frac{M}{A} [/itex]

hope that helps

4. Feb 20, 2004 #3
    dnn't understand

could someone explain itto me?

5. Feb 20, 2004 #4
    Re: Re: moment of inertia

[tex]\sigma \int r^2 dA =\sigma \int (x^2+y^2)dxdy [/tex]

this is ok since if you draw the rectangle out, r is measured from the center of the plane and therefore [itex] r^2=x^2+y^2 [/itex]. Since the center of the plane is the axis of rotation... you should be able to figure out the limits of integration for x and y.
    Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?