1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This was an exam question that I got wrong, my teacher tried to explain it but it only left me more confused. I found some websites that also had explanations but they were also confusing.

"Derive the moment of inertia of a uniform disk which rotates along a central axis , radius R , disk thickness d, mass M , density p
    I= R^2 dm"

2. Relevant equations
    I= 1/2*M*R^2 ?

3. The attempt at a solution

mass M = Pi*R^2*d*p

My teacher mentioned something about a third integral.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Presumeably you are to derive the moment of inertia by evaluating [itex]\int r^2 dm[/itex]. So what did you do?

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    If I derive [itex]\int r^2 dm[/itex] I get 2r but I not sure what to do with the dm

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

By "derive" I didn't mean "take the derivative". You need to evaluate that integral, which is the definition of moment of inertia. Start by expressing "dm" in terms of density and distance from the axis. (Hint: Think in terms of concentric rings.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?