Solving Moment of Inertia Homework: Deriving Disk Formula

In summary, the conversation focuses on deriving the moment of inertia of a uniform disk rotating along a central axis. The person asking the question is confused despite attempts by their teacher and online resources to explain it. They mention a third integral and question how to handle "dm" in the integral. The person providing help suggests expressing "dm" in terms of density and distance from the axis, using the concept of concentric rings.
revres75

Homework Statement

This was an exam question that I got wrong, my teacher tried to explain it but it only left me more confused. I found some websites that also had explanations but they were also confusing.

"Derive the moment of inertia of a uniform disk which rotates along a central axis , radius R , disk thickness d, mass M , density p
I= R^2 dm"

Homework Equations

I= 1/2*M*R^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

mass M = Pi*R^2*d*p

My teacher mentioned something about a third integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumeably you are to derive the moment of inertia by evaluating [itex]\int r^2 dm[/itex]. So what did you do?

If I derive [itex]\int r^2 dm[/itex] I get 2r but I not sure what to do with the dm

revres75 said:
If I derive [itex]\int r^2 dm[/itex] I get 2r but I not sure what to do with the dm
By "derive" I didn't mean "take the derivative". You need to evaluate that integral, which is the definition of moment of inertia. Start by expressing "dm" in terms of density and distance from the axis. (Hint: Think in terms of concentric rings.)

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a disk?

The formula for the moment of inertia of a disk is I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

2. How do you derive the formula for the moment of inertia of a disk?

To derive the formula for the moment of inertia of a disk, you need to use calculus. The moment of inertia is defined as the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. For a disk, this integral becomes an integral of a continuous mass distribution, which can be simplified to the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2.

3. What are the units for moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and radius. In the SI system, the units for moment of inertia are kg*m^2. In the CGS system, the units are g*cm^2. In both systems, the units can also be expressed as N*m*s^2.

4. Can the formula for moment of inertia of a disk be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula for moment of inertia of a disk only applies to a disk-shaped object with all of its mass distributed around its axis of rotation. Other shapes will have different formulas for moment of inertia.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a disk used in physics?

The moment of inertia of a disk is an important property in rotational motion. It is used to calculate the angular acceleration of a disk when a torque is applied, as well as the kinetic energy and angular momentum of a rotating disk. It is also used in various engineering applications, such as calculating the stability of rotating machinery.