Moment of Inertia: Problem 8 Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the moment of inertia for a wheel and the validity of certain equations used to find velocity and acceleration. The summary also mentions the assumption made about the wheel being a uniform disk and suggests using the torque equation to solve for I instead of writing out an expression for it.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

see problem 8 attachment

Homework Equations

see problem 8 attempt attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have solved the problem correctly and through my method I determine the moment of inertia to be 4.3 kg*m^2. However I'm not sure if the equations I used to find velocity and acceleration are valid in this situation.

Attachments

• 1031-10871-problem 8.jpg
    1031-10871-problem 8.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 2899-33757-problem 8 attempt.jpg
    2899-33757-problem 8 attempt.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 362
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jimbo71,

jimbo71 said:

Homework Statement

see problem 8 attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have solved the problem correctly and through my method I determine the moment of inertia to be 4.3 kg*m^2. However I'm not sure if the equations I used to find velocity and acceleration are valid in this situation.

I think the assumption you have made (that is not necessarily true) is that the wheel is a uniform disk.

Once you found the linear acceleration of 0.75 m/s2, you can directly find the angular acceleration alpha from [itex]a=r\alpha[/itex].

Then you can use the torque equation like you did, but there is no need try to write out an expression for I, since I is what you want. Just use:

[tex]
\tau = I\alpha
[/tex]

and solve for I.

I would suggest double checking your equations and units to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide more context or information about the problem so that others can better understand your approach and provide feedback. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of moment of inertia and how to calculate it, so keep up the good work!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rotating object that describes its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is represented by the symbol "I" and is dependent on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where "m" represents the mass of the object and "r" represents the distance between the object's mass and the axis of rotation. This formula can be modified for more complex or irregularly shaped objects.

3. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia depend on the units used for mass and distance. In the SI system, the units are kilogram-meter squared (kg∙m^2), while in the US customary system, they are pound-square feet (lb∙ft^2).

4. How is moment of inertia related to rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is directly related to rotational motion through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the torque applied to an object is equal to its moment of inertia multiplied by its angular acceleration. This relationship helps determine how much force is needed to accelerate or decelerate a rotating object.

5. How does moment of inertia affect an object's stability?

Moment of inertia plays a significant role in an object's stability. Objects with a higher moment of inertia are more difficult to rotate and are therefore more stable. This is why spinning tops and bicycles are designed with a low moment of inertia to maintain their balance.