Find Moment of Inertia of 4 Rods Constructing a Square: Explained

In summary, when hanging four rods from their corners to construct a square, the total moment of inertia can be found by first finding the moment of inertia of one rod about its center, then using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia of the square as a whole. The final formula for the moment of inertia is 4/3 ML^2.
makyol

Homework Statement

When we put together 4 rod in case they will construct a square and when we hang it from the corner. How can we find its total moment of inertia?

Length of rods: L
Mass of rods: M

Homework Equations

Paralel Axis Theorem: I = I + Md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

As my book said answer is 10ML^2/3. Can you please explain it how can i calculate it? Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the moment of inertia of one rod about its centre. Find the distance to the centre of the square, then use the parallel axis theorem.

Does it make sense firstly finding all of four rods moment of inertia at its centre then taking it and finding the new moment of inertia secondly at the corner of square?
Actually i cannot understand precisely, can you please be more clear?

makyol said:
Does it make sense firstly finding all of four rods moment of inertia at its centre then taking it and finding the new moment of inertia secondly at the corner of square?
Actually i cannot understand precisely, can you please be more clear?

Sorry, I didn't see the hanging from the corner part.

I=(1/12)ML2.

You need to find the distances of the centres of each rod to the corner and then use the parallel axis theorem. Then just simply add them up.

rock.freak667 said:
Sorry, I didn't see the hanging from the corner part.

I=(1/12)ML2.

You need to find the distances of the centres of each rod to the corner and then use the parallel axis theorem. Then just simply add them up.

But again i cannot get the result that is given by book. So do i have to take perpendicular distance to the corner for the each rod? I mean for example; for top two rods it is easy:
I = (1/12)ML^2 + M(L/2)^2 but when it comes to bottom rods, it is being complicated, unfortunately. Again what distance i will use?
L or squareroot of M(5/4)L^2 ?
Still i could not get the right answer despite the deal with two cases.
If you have any suggestion, i will appreciate it. Thanks.

makyol said:
Again what distance i will use?
L or squareroot of M(5/4)L^2 ?
Md^2 = M(5/4)L^2

makyol said:
This approach would work. The moment of inertia about the center of the square would work out to be [tex]4/3 ML^2[/tex]. Then you can apply the parallel-axis theorem to the square as a whole. You just have to be a little careful with this step because the mass of the square is 4M, not just M.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods?

The moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods is dependent on the length of the rods, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the mass of each rod. It can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * M * L^2, where M is the total mass of the rods and L is the length of each rod.

2. How do you find the moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods?

The moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods can be found by first calculating the individual moments of inertia of each rod using the formula I = (1/12) * M * L^2. Then, the individual moments of inertia can be added together to find the total moment of inertia of the square.

3. What is the axis of rotation for a square made of 4 rods?

The axis of rotation for a square made of 4 rods is the point around which the square can rotate. This can be any point within the square, but it is most commonly the center of the square.

4. How does the mass of each rod affect the moment of inertia of the square?

The mass of each rod directly affects the moment of inertia of the square. The larger the mass of each rod, the larger the moment of inertia will be. This is because a larger mass means more resistance to rotation.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a square made of 4 rods can be changed by altering the length of the rods or the position of the axis of rotation. For example, if the length of the rods is increased, the moment of inertia will also increase. Similarly, if the axis of rotation is moved towards the edge of the square, the moment of inertia will decrease.