Moment of Inertia of Cabinet Door - 49.1x76.5cm, 550kg/m3

In summary, the problem involves a plywood cabinet door with given dimensions and a handle mounted on the vertical edge. The question asks for the moment of inertia of the door about the hinges, neglecting the contribution of the hinges. The formula to solve this problem is not applicable, as it is necessary to understand the physics behind the problem.
blackfoal

Homework Statement

A sheet of plywood 1.81 cm thick is used to make a cabinet door 49.1 cm wide by 76.5 cm tall, with hinges mounted on the vertical edge. A small 181-g handle is mounted 45 cm from the lower hinge at the same height as that hinge. If the density of the plywood is 550 kg/m3, what is the moment of inertia of the door about the hinges? Neglect the contribution of hinge components to the moment of inertia.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[((weight)*((tall)^2))+((density*tall*thick)*((wide^3)/3))]

answer is not true according to this formula. help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can look at this problem from a bird's eye view, since the vertical axis is of no concern to us. How is the moment of inertia of the door from the hinges to handle related to the distance from the hinge to the handle and the door's mass?

I think you're getting confused here with the door's dimensions. Think less of this and more of the physics behind it. Once you get the physics, you'll understand why they give you the length, height and thickness of the door.

i didnt understand anything your comment :) do you give a formula? maybe i can understand on the formula.

i looked but i can not solute.

is there anybody for helping to me.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia related to the cabinet door?

The moment of inertia of the cabinet door is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around its hinges. It is affected by the door's mass, size, and distance from its hinges.

3. How is the moment of inertia of the cabinet door calculated?

The moment of inertia of the cabinet door can be calculated using the formula I = MR2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the door, and R is the distance from the door's axis of rotation to its center of mass.

4. Why is the density of the cabinet door important in calculating its moment of inertia?

The density of the cabinet door is important because it affects the door's mass. A higher density means a greater mass, which will result in a higher moment of inertia and a greater resistance to rotational motion.

5. How does the moment of inertia of the cabinet door impact its functionality?

The moment of inertia of the cabinet door can impact its functionality by affecting how easily it can be opened and closed. A higher moment of inertia means it will require more force to rotate the door, making it more difficult to use. It can also impact the stability of the door, as a higher moment of inertia can cause it to swing open or shut more forcefully.