1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia!

1. Jan 4, 2005 #1
    I've been working on deriving the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere (ie basketball) with uniform density for a while now with no success... Can anyone show me this derivation?

The moment of inertia is I = 2/3 MR^2 . If anyone can help me get to this step, it would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

4. Jan 4, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay,that's a link to a good calculation for the moment of inertia of a full sphere.
    You need for a hollow sphere.
    [tex] I=\int r^{2} dm [/tex] (1)
    ,where 'r' is the distance between the mass element 'dm' and the axis of rotation.
    [tex] dm=\rho_{surf.sphere}dS [/tex] (2)
    [tex] \rho_{surf.sphere}=\frac{M_{sphere}}{S_{sphere}}=\frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}} [/tex] (3)

The distance 'r' to the axis of rotation chosen as Oz is
    [tex] r=R\sin \theta [/tex](4)
    The sphere surface element is
    [tex] dS=R^{2}d\Omega=R^{2}\sin\theta d\theta d\phi [/tex](5)

Then I becomes
    [tex] I=\int_{0}^{2\pi} d\phi\int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta (R^{2}\sin^{2}\theta)(\frac{M}{4\pi R^{2}}) R^{2}\sin\theta [/tex] (6)

Make simplifications and integrate after [itex] \phi [/itex],simplify again and u'll get
    [tex] I=\frac{MR^{2}}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} d\theta \sin^{3}\theta =\frac{MR^{2}}{2}(-)\int_{1}^{-1} (1-u^{2}) du =\frac{MR^{2}}{2}(u-\frac{u^{3}}{3})|_{-1}^{+1}=\frac{MR^{2}}{2}\frac{4}{3}=\frac{2MR^{2}}{3}[/tex](7)
    ,where i made use of
    [tex] \sin^{3}\theta=\sin\theta(1-\cos^{2}\theta) [/tex](8)
    and the substitution
    [tex] \cos\theta\rightarrow u [/tex] (9)
    ,under which the limits of integration transform in the prescribed way.

[tex] I=
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?