1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    Moment of Inerttia of a cone of mass M, radius R, height H, about an axis through its diameter.

(see attached)

I am in total agreement with the use of the perpendicular and parsallel axis theorem. However due to the way I drew the cone - simply revered I.e with the diameter at x=0, rather than at the end, so my equation was y = -R/H rather than +, but as only y^2 was required this did not change any of the solution, other than the distance used in the parallel axis theorem. I do not understand at all, why if you choose to use x^2 as the relevant distance from the axis, following through from my diagram, rather than (h-x)^2 I do not obtain the same answer.

Any one could tell me how my solution is flawed that would be greatly appreciated, many thanks ! ,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nothing is attached !

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    ta - changed now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook