1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia?

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose you are designing a car for a coasting race -- the cars in this race have no engines, they simply coast down a hill. Do you want large wheels or small wheels? Do you want solid, disk-like wheels, or hoop-like wheels? Should be wheels be heavy or light? (Select all that apply. Omit both choices in a pair if neither have a beneficial effect.)

2. Relevant equations
    Moments of Inertia:
    Hoop or thin cylindrical shell:
    I=MR2
    Solid cylinder:
    I=(1/2)MR2

3. The attempt at a solution

The options are:

large
    small
    solid, disk-like
    hoop-like
    heavy
    light

So I guessed small; solid, disk-like; and light because according to those equations above, those options would make it have a lower moment of inertia… but according to webassign, that is wrong, and I do not understand why. Can someone help?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Well a lower moment of inertia would mean less resistance to motion right? so it would move more quickly? and yes this is related to the other question… Am I approaching it right by using moment of inertia?

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Linear inertia = mass.
    You have a race between two blocks mass M and m with M>m sliding down a frictionless slope. Which one reaches the bottom first: the one with the big inertia or the one with the small inertia?

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    hmm the one with the small inertia?

7. Oct 28, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do the free body diagram for sliding down a slope angle ##\theta## to the horizontal.

8. Oct 28, 2012 #7
    okay so FN=mgcosθ and ma=mgsinθ

9. Oct 28, 2012 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... so which mass reaches the bottom first?

10. Oct 28, 2012 #9
    they reach the bottom at the same time?

11. Oct 28, 2012 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... since they experience the same force, they have the same acceleration, their inertia does not matter.

Now you need something similar for an object rolling: which is where that other thread comes in. Answer that and you'll have this answer as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook