Understanding Moment of Inertia: Solving a Loop-the-Loop Problem"

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere rolling on a "V" track and the question is whether the moment of inertia should be different due to the sphere rolling on a smaller radius. The correct answer is that the moment of inertia remains (2/5)*M*r^2 as the sphere is still rotating about its center of mass. However, the torque applied by the track will be smaller, and this affects the calculation for the condition of rolling without slipping. The angular velocity is calculated to be [(2)^0.5*v]/r.
Frod
Hello, I have been given a loop-the-loop problem to do. Now the problem I have isn't with conservation of mechanical or rotational energy, it's with the moment of inertia of the solid sphere. Usually it would be (2/5)*M*r^2 however the sphere is rolling on a "V" track (see image). I get the correct answer if I leave the moment of inertia as (2/5)*M*r^2, however, shouldn't it be different as it is no longer rolling on r, instead it is rolling on r' (see image)?

I have worked out that the angular velocity will be [(2)^0.5*v]/r, where r is the radius of the sphere and v the velocity of the sphere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Frod.

Attachments

• sphere.gif
    sphere.gif
    836 bytes · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Frod,

If I understand this problem (and I'm not sure I do) the moment of inertia of inertia of the sphere doesn't change, but the torque on the sphere does, because it's applied at a smaller radius.

The fact that the ball makes contact with the track at a smaller distance from the axis of rotation does not change anything. The ball is still rotating about an axis through its center of mass, and the moment of inertia of a ball about any axis through its CM is what you said, (2/5)*M*R^2. In this way, the motion of the ball can be separated neatly into two parts: 1) translation of the center of mass, and 2) rotation about an axis through the CM. The total kinetic energy is the sum of kinetic energies associated with the two motions.

edit: what jdavel says is true, the torque applied by the track is smaller. What this means in terms of calculation is that your condition for rolling without slipping will take into account the smaller radius. So I shouldn't have said that it doesn't change ANYTHING. Your answer for angular velocity looks good.

Last edited:

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is the measure of an object's distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of an object determines its rotational inertia, meaning how difficult it is to change the object's rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more force to change their rotational motion, while objects with a lower moment of inertia are easier to rotate.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object plays a significant role in determining its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger mass concentrated further from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia. For example, a rod has a lower moment of inertia when rotated around its center compared to when it is rotated around one end.

5. What are some practical applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is essential in understanding and predicting rotational motion in various systems, from simple objects like wheels to complex systems like planets and galaxies. It is also crucial in designing and engineering machines and structures, such as flywheels and bridges, to ensure their stability and performance.