Calculating Moment of Inertia Homework: Soccer Ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object rolling down a ramp. The calculation needed to go from the given time to a measured κ value is demonstrated symbolically. The values for d, m, R, t, and h are known, and a soccer ball is used as an example. The equations used include the derived equations for acceleration and kinetic energy, as well as the equations for potential energy and velocity. The resulting equations give a value of κ = (g*h*t^2 - 2*d^2)/(2*d^2). After realizing a mistake in the units, the correct solution is found to be v = (2*d)/t and a shorter time of 0.6 seconds.
Shawkify

Homework Statement

An object rolls down a ramp starting from rest, demonstrate symbolically the calculation needed to go from time given to a measured κ value here. Pick your favourite object and perform the calculation.
d, m, R, t, h are known
http://puu.sh/luare/10352d0479.png

Soccer Ball:
m = 331.2 kg
R = 10.54 cm
t = 2.25 s
d = 0.2805 m
h = 0.0445 m

Homework Equations

Derived from an earlier problem:
a = (g*h)/(d*(1+k))
d = 1/2*a*Δt2

KEtotal = 1/2*m*v2 + 1/2*I*ω2
I = κ*m*R2
U = m*g*h
v = v0 + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

Ui = KEf
m*g*h = 1/2*m*v2 + 1/2*I*ω2
m*g*h = 1/2*m*v2 + 1/2*κ*m*R2*(v/R)2
g*h = 1/2*v2 + 1/2*κ*v2
κ = (g*h)/v2 - 1
v = (g*h)/(d*(1+k))*t

Solving a system of equations gives me:
v = (2*d)/t
κ = (g*h*t2 - 2*d2)/(2*d2)

Plugging in values gives me v = 1.65 m/s and k = 30.8. Compared to a chart which gives a value of κ = 2/3 for a thin spherical shell, my κ value is extremely large.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shawkify said:
g*h = 1/2*v2 + 1/2*κ*v2
κ = (g*h)/v2 - 1
You lost a factor of 2 there, but it reappeared later.
Shawkify said:
t = 2.25 s
That seems like a very long time, given the set-up. It should be more like 0.6 s.
Shawkify said:
v = (2*d)/t
gives me v = 1.65 m/s
How do you get that from these numbers? (2*0.2805)/2.25=0.25

haruspex said:
You lost a factor of 2 there, but it reappeared later.

That seems like a very long time, given the set-up. It should be more like 0.6 s.

How do you get that from these numbers? (2*0.2805)/2.25=0.25

Thanks for your help, I've been told the units for this problem were all messed up and have successfully solved the corrected version.

What is Moment of Inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is calculated by determining the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

How is Moment of Inertia calculated for a soccer ball?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a soccer ball, you will need to know its mass and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

What are the units of Moment of Inertia?

The units of moment of inertia are typically kg*m^2. However, depending on the system of units used, it can also be expressed in g*cm^2 or lb*ft^2.

Why is Moment of Inertia important in soccer?

Moment of inertia is important in soccer because it affects how the ball will behave when it is kicked or hit with different amounts of force. A higher moment of inertia means the ball will be more resistant to changes in its rotation, resulting in a more stable and predictable flight path.

How can Moment of Inertia be changed for a soccer ball?

The moment of inertia for a soccer ball can be changed by altering its mass or the distribution of mass. For example, adding weights to certain areas of the ball or changing the shape can affect the moment of inertia. Additionally, the moment of inertia can also be changed by changing the axis of rotation, such as kicking the ball at different angles.