Moment of Inertia of rod on an axis

In summary, the project manager for a manufacturing company is tasked with finding the moment of inertia for a 60.0 cm long, 0.700 kg thin, uniform rod for an axis at its center perpendicular to the rod. The answer is 0.021 kgm^2. The engineer proposes to reduce the moment of inertia by bending the rod into a V-shape with a 60.0∘ angle at its vertex. The moment of inertia for this bent rod about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the V at its vertex would be 0.042 kgm^2. The engineer's proposed solution would result in a higher moment of inertia compared to the original rod.
David112234

Homework Statement

You are a project manager for a manufacturing company. One of the machine parts on the assembly line is a thin, uniform rod that is
60.0 cm long and has mass 0.700 kg .

1What is the moment of inertia of this rod for an axis at its center, perpendicular to the rod?
Express your answer with the appropriate units.

2One of your engineers has proposed to reduce the moment of inertia by bending the rod at its center into a V-shape, with a
60.0∘ angle at its vertex. What would be the moment of inertia of this bent rod about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the V at its vertex?

Homework Equations

I of rod = 1/12 * m *L2
I of rod aorund end 1/3 * m * L2

The Attempt at a Solution

mass= .7
length= 60 cm = .6 m

Ok, I got part 1 it is .021

for part 2

If the rod is bent into a v shape and rotated around its axis, it is 2 rods half the length of the original rotation around their ends so the moment of Inertia should be

1/3 * .7 * .3^2 + 1/3 * .7 * .3^2
= .2716

why is this wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:
I of rod = 1/12 * m *r2
r is the length of the rod, not the radius. (Radius of what?)

Doc Al said:
r is the length of the rod, not the radius. (Radius of what?)

I am use to doing moment of Inertia of discs and circle so I write radius out of habit, it is supposed to be L instead L instead of R, regardless when any point on the disc rotates it forms a disc.

but my mistake was diving by 2, it should be the whole length, though i do not understand why, the moment of inertia for a single point is mr^2 as it rotates on a disc

David112234 said:
So the whole mass is now 1.4?
Anyway, I don't see how you got .2716 from the above expression. I get .042.

David112234 said:
= .2716

why is this wrong?
Sorry, I didn't see your edits. (Thankfully, haruspex is on the ball.) In addition to his comment about the calculation, in your formula you forgot to divide the mass in two.

Hint: How should the answers to each part relate?

What is the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis?

The moment of inertia of a rod on an axis is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion about that axis. It is the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

How is the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis calculated?

The moment of inertia of a rod on an axis can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * L^2, where m is the mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis?

The moment of inertia of a rod on an axis is affected by the mass and shape of the rod. A rod with a larger mass or a larger radius will have a greater moment of inertia.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis?

The moment of inertia of a rod on an axis is important in understanding the rotational motion and stability of objects. It is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the torque needed to rotate an object.

Can the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a rod on an axis can be changed by altering its mass or shape. For example, by adding weight to one end of the rod, the moment of inertia will increase, resulting in a change in its rotational motion.