Moment of Inertia: Why Did Author Change Formula?

In summary: No. Each of the sections A, B, and C is a different area and centroidal location from the reference baseline.You must calculate the total moment of inertia for the entire figure about its centroid, which is I = I(center of mass) + A(d^2)
foo9008

Homework Statement

we know that the moment of inertia is given by the formula of I = (ab^3) / 12 + A(y^2) ... why in the second photo , the author make it as I = 1443333- A(y^2) ? what is teh purpose of doing so , i don't understand ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2410002.jpg
    2410002.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 503
  • 2400002.jpg
    2400002.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

we know that the moment of inertia is given by the formula of I = (ab^3) / 12 + A(y^2) ... why in the second photo , the author make it as I = 1443333- A(y^2) ? what is teh purpose of doing so , i don't understand ...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first picture, the moment of inertia is being calculated about the base of the figure, which is why sections A, B, and C all have an A ⋅ y-bar2 value added to the MOI of each section about its own centroid.

However, the MOI of the entire figure about the base is not what you want to use when calculating bending stress, for example. You want to calculate the MOI of the entire figure about its own centroid. This is why the Parallel Axis Theorem is applied on page 2, to correct the MOI of the figure to its composite centroid location, as calculated on the first page. (y-bar for the figure is located 28.07 mm from the base).

SteamKing said:
In the first picture, the moment of inertia is being calculated about the base of the figure, which is why sections A, B, and C all have an A ⋅ y-bar2 value added to the MOI of each section about its own centroid.

However, the MOI of the entire figure about the base is not what you want to use when calculating bending stress, for example. You want to calculate the MOI of the entire figure about its own centroid. This is why the Parallel Axis Theorem is applied on page 2, to correct the MOI of the figure to its composite centroid location, as calculated on the first page. (y-bar for the figure is located 28.07 mm from the base).
normally , the total moment of inertia is I = I(center of mass) + A(d^2) , where d = distance from the centroid of entire mass to the axis,right? why n the 2nd photo , it's I = I(center of mass) - A(d^2)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem

chetzread said:
normally , the total moment of inertia is I = I(center of mass) + A(d^2) , where d = distance from the centroid of entire mass to the axis,right? why n the 2nd photo , it's I = I(center of mass) - A(d^2)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_axis_theorem
In the first page, the moments of inertia of the individual sections A, B, and C are calculated about the individual centroids of A, B, and C, respectively, and then transferred to the base of the by adding Ad2 terms. Once the total inertia is calculated about the base, then the moment of inertia must be corrected to the centroid of the whole figure by subtracting Ad2, where A is the total cross sectional area and d is the location of the centroid w.r.t. the base, in this instance d = 28.07 mm.

This is done so that the correct moment of inertia of the entire figure about its centroid is calculated and can then be used to determine bending stress.

Likes chetzread
SteamKing said:
In the first page, the moments of inertia of the individual sections A, B, and C are calculated about the individual centroids of A, B, and C, respectively, and then transferred to the base of the by adding Ad2 terms. Once the total inertia is calculated about the base, then the moment of inertia must be corrected to the centroid of the whole figure by subtracting Ad2, where A is the total cross sectional area and d is the location of the centroid w.r.t. the base, in this instance d = 28.07 mm.

This is done so that the correct moment of inertia of the entire figure about its centroid is calculated and can then be used to determine bending stress.
cann we just minus the A(d^2) , where a = total area of figure when we are calculating the moment about the centorid of the entire figure ? there's no need to calculate the d one by one just like the author did in the first figure?

chetzread said:
cann we just minus the A(d^2) , where a = total area of figure when we are calculating the moment about the centorid of the entire figure ? there's no need to calculate the d one by one just like the author did in the first figure?
No. Each of the sections A, B, and C is a different area and centroidal location from the reference baseline.

You must calculate and sum the Io + Aidi2 for each piece before making the correction for the entire section.

1. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a physical property of a rotating object that describes its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the mass around the axis of rotation.

2. Why did the author change the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The author may have changed the formula in order to make it more accurate or applicable to a specific situation. They may have also discovered new information or techniques that led to a better understanding of moment of inertia.

3. What is the new formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The new formula for calculating moment of inertia may vary depending on the specific situation, but it generally involves taking into account the shape, mass, and distribution of the object. It may also involve integration or use of mathematical principles such as the parallel axis theorem or perpendicular axis theorem.

4. How does the change in formula affect the calculation of moment of inertia?

The change in formula may result in a more accurate calculation of moment of inertia, as it takes into account more factors and variables. It may also make the calculation more complex and require more advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Can the new formula be applied to all situations?

The new formula may not be applicable to all situations, as the moment of inertia can vary depending on the shape and distribution of mass. It is important to use the most appropriate formula for each specific situation in order to get an accurate calculation.