Moment of Inertia: Solve for Ft & Alpha

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a horizontal disk of moment of inertia I rotating frictionlessly around its axis, a massless pulley attached to the disk, and a hanging mass attached to the pulley by a massless string. The equations of motion for the rotating disk and the hanging mass are discussed, with the angular acceleration and tension being the main variables. The conversation ends with a hint to use torque in order to correctly write the equation of motion for the rotating disk.
epidote6
I'm more having a problem of what they actually want and what I can use/assume. The question is:

A horizontal disk of moment of inertia I rotates frictionlessly around its axis. A massless pulley of radius r which shares the axis of rotation is attached to the disk. A massless string is wound around the pulley, passed over another massless frictionless pulley, and attached to a hanging mass m.

There are two pictures, one of a rotating disk from above with Ft pointing out from it. And the second of a hanging mass from the side with Ft pointing up and mg pointing down from the mass.

a) write down equation of motion for rotating disk. Denote angular acceleration by alpha.

I just have F(tension) = I * alpha. I think that's all it is.

b) Write down the equation of motion for the hanging mass. Its acceleration a is related to ang acc. of disk by a = r*alpha.

Do I just plug in a/r for alpha?

C) Solve equations for a) and b) for Ft and alpha. (Express answers in terms of known quantities, namely, I, r, m, and g.)

This is the one I am confused about since for b) i don't have an alpha. Also isn't Ft = mg ? Maybe I am making this harder that it actually is. All my other problems were a lot harder for this to be as simple as I have it.

I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
can u post a pid of the prob

I presume you've already studied linear motion. Pretty much everything you studied there has an analog in rotational motion, and you can use the understanding you gained there to help you here.

For instance: the angular acceleration alpha is analogous to the linear acceleration a, with the relationship between them being given by the equation you cite. Consider your first problem: would you know what to do if you were asked to write the equation of motion for a particle moving under acceleration x? You're going to do the same thing here, using the rotational analogues. One equation that you almost certainly know is the expression for Newton's Second Law: F = ma. You have written that you have F = I*alpha. Think about this for a second: you have a linear quantity on the left and angular quantities on the right. That can't be correct. Can you think what the angular analog for force would be? That's what should be on the left. Once you know that, you should be able to rewrite your equation correctly by using the relationship between force and its angular analogue.

I know this is a little vague, but this is a fairly simple problem and I'm having a hard time giving you hints without actually telling you the answer. Look it over and let me know if it helps or if you have further questions.

Ahh, I should have known that. Need to use torque

Nicely done. :)

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of each mass element and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

2. How do you calculate moment of inertia?

To calculate moment of inertia, you need to know the mass of the object, the distance of each mass element from the axis of rotation, and the axis of rotation. Then, use the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each element, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What does Ft represent in the equation for moment of inertia?

Ft represents the torque acting on the object, which is the force multiplied by the distance from the axis of rotation. It is a measure of the force that causes rotational motion.

4. How do you solve for Ft and alpha in the moment of inertia equation?

To solve for Ft and alpha, you need to know the moment of inertia, the mass of the object, and the distance of the axis of rotation. Then, use the formula Ft = Iα, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration. You can also use the formula Ft = mω²r, where m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is essential in designing structures and machines that need to resist rotational motion, such as bridges, cars, and satellites. It is also used in sports equipment, such as golf clubs and gymnastics equipment, to optimize performance. In astronomy, moment of inertia is used to study the rotation and stability of planets and stars.