1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertiaFind the moment of inertia of the plate

1. Mar 27, 2005 #1
    A uniform plate of height H=1.60 m is cut in the form of a parabolic section. The lower boundary of the plate is defined by: y=1.75x^2. The plate has a mass of 4.94 kg. Find the moment of inertia of the plate (in kgm^2) about the y-axis.

I integrated 1.75x^2 to get .583x^3. Then put 1.60 in for x and multiplied by the mass 4.94. I got 4.02 kgm^2 as my answer, which isn't right. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have good reasons to believe that

[tex] I_{y}=\frac{M}{S}\int_{0}^{1.6} dy\int_{0}^{\sqrt{\frac{y}{1.75}}} x^{2} \ dx [/tex]

The area of the plate is

[tex] S=S_{rectangle}-\int_{0}^{l_{x}} \left(1.75x^{2}\right) \ dx [/tex]

,where [itex] l_{x} [/itex] is the "x" coordinate of the point obtained by projecting the point of coordinates
    [tex]\left(\sqrt{\frac{1.6}{1.75}},1.6\right) [/tex]
    onto the Ox axis...

I hope u see which rectangle i'm talking about.

Daniel.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  4. Mar 31, 2005 #3
    I'm sorry but I have no idea what you've done in this problem...

5. Mar 31, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U've got a plate whose contour is made up of 2 right lines and an arch of a parabola...U have to find the plates' area which will be needed to evaluate the moment of inertia.

Make a drawing and see how u can compute that area...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?