Moment of interia about axis d

• Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis Moment
In summary, the student is trying to find the moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating on an axis from one end to the other. The student integrated the problem by taking two integrals; one on one side of the axis and the other on the other side. The first integral is for the rod itself and the second is for the mass on the opposite side of the axis. The student then added the two moments of inertia. However, the answer is not correct. The student was wondering where he went wrong and what his question is.
GreatEscapist

Homework Statement

Calculate by direct integration the moment of inertia for a thin rod of mass M and length L about an axis located distance d from one end.

Homework Equations

I = Ʃmir2i

Which can be rewritten as int (r2)dm as Δm -> 0

Since we cannot integrate over a mass, we need to switch to dx, which is dm = M/L dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is asking us to find the moment of inertia as it rotates on an axis d from one end.

Normally, if we are trying to find the moment of inertia of an "infinitely thin" rod rotating on one end, the moment of inertia is (1/3)ML2

However, we have to manually integrate this problem because we have mass on both sides of the axis of rotation.

I took two integrals- one on one side of d, and on the other.

First side:
(M/d) int(x2)dx (with bounds 0 to d)

(M/d)(x3/3) (with bounds 0 to d)

= Md2/3
The second side:
(M/L-d) int(x2) dx (with bounds from d to L)

(M/L-d) (x3/3) (with bounds from d to L)

(M/L-d) ( (L3/3) - (d3/3))Then I added the two moments of inertia together, to get:

(Md2/3) + (M/L-d)((L3/3) - (d3/3))
This answer is not correct, and I was wondering where i went wrong conceptually/mathematically. Homework is due soon, so any immediate help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreatEscapist said:

Homework Statement

Calculate by direct integration the moment of inertia for a thin rod of mass M and length L about an axis located distance d from one end.

Homework Equations

I = Ʃmir2i

Which can be rewritten as int (r2)dm as Δm -> 0

Since we cannot integrate over a mass, we need to switch to dx, which is dm = M/L dx

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is asking us to find the moment of inertia as it rotates on an axis d from one end.

Normally, if we are trying to find the moment of inertia of an "infinitely thin" rod rotating on one end, the moment of inertia is (1/3)ML2

However, we have to manually integrate this problem because we have mass on both sides of the axis of rotation.

I took two integrals- one on one side of d, and on the other.

First side:
(M/d) int(x2)dx (with bounds 0 to d)

(M/d)(x3/3) (with bounds 0 to d)

= Md2/3

The second side:
(M/L-d) int(x2) dx (with bounds from d to L)

(M/L-d) (x3/3) (with bounds from d to L)

(M/L-d) ( (L3/3) - (d3/3))

Then I added the two moments of inertia together, to get:

(Md2/3) + (M/L-d)((L3/3) - (d3/3))

This answer is not correct, and I was wondering where i went wrong conceptually/mathematically. Homework is due soon, so any immediate help is greatly appreciated.

The density is M/L. Why did you use M/d and M/L -d as density? The second one is even dimensionally wrong.

You should integrate simply from -d to L-d.

ehild

I thought you used d and L-d because that was the length over which you were integrating.

It's always just over the total length?

GreatEscapist said:
I thought you used d and L-d because that was the length over which you were integrating.

The density of both pieces are the same M/L.

GreatEscapist said:
It's always just over the total length?
You are supposed to get the moment of inertia by direct integration of the square of the distance from the pivot from one end to the other one. You can replace one integral with the sum of other two, but why?

ehild

Attachments

• imom.JPG
    imom.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,016
Thank you! I understand a bit better now.

this did not help at all lol. so no one knows the answer?

Why do you think that the thread was no help? What is your question?
Read the Forum rules. We must not not give out full solutions.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is the moment of inertia about axis d?

The moment of inertia about axis d is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around this specific axis. It is often represented by the symbol Id and is calculated by summing the products of each individual mass element and its respective distance from the axis squared.

2. How is the moment of inertia about axis d different from other axes?

The moment of inertia is axis-specific, meaning that the value will change depending on the chosen axis of rotation. This is because the distance of each mass element from the axis affects its rotational inertia. Therefore, the moment of inertia about axis d will be different from other axes unless the object has a symmetrical shape.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia about axis d?

The moment of inertia about axis d is affected by the mass distribution and shape of the object. Objects with a larger mass and a greater distance from the axis will have a higher moment of inertia. Additionally, the shape of the object can also impact the moment of inertia, with objects that have a larger radius of gyration (a measure of how the mass is distributed around the axis) having a higher moment of inertia.

4. Can the moment of inertia about axis d be negative?

No, the moment of inertia about axis d cannot be negative. It is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and therefore cannot have a negative value.

5. How is the moment of inertia about axis d used in physics?

The moment of inertia about axis d is used in many areas of physics, including rotational dynamics, torque, and angular momentum. It is an important factor in understanding the motion of rotating objects and is often used in calculations to determine the rotational behavior of systems.