Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment on door vehicle

1. Nov 20, 2009 #1
    Validity of Einstein's Elevator Experiment

I solved the problem below using Einstein's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle" [Broken], or "elevator experiment," and I easily find an answer. I used traditional dynamics analysis and I get a different answer! Where is the mistake in my solution(s) or assumptions? I'm pretty good with dynamics, but I'm having trouble resolving this. Any help greatly appreciated!

A door is hinged to a vehicle at pt. O and is open at angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. The vehicle's acceleration is a[tex]_{}o[/tex]. I need to find the moment on the door caused by the vehicle's acceleration.

Answer from Solution 1: M = m*a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
    Answer from Solution 2: M = a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])/(1/m+r^2/I)

a[tex]_{}o[/tex] is the acceleration of the vehicle in the x direction.
    [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle of the door away from the x axis towards the y axis.
    m is the mass of the door.
    r is the distance from the hinge to the door's center of mass.
    I is the door's moment of inertia.

SOLUTION 1
    ----------

Based on my interpretation of Einstein's "elevator experiment" or "equivalence principle," instead of saying that the vehicle is accelerating, I can say that the vehicle is stationary with the door being exposed to a gravity field in the -x direction with magnitude a[tex]_{}o[/tex]. This makes it a very easy pendulum problem.

Force is applied at center of gravity
    F = m*a[tex]_{}o[/tex]

Moment is force times moment arm
    M = F*r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
    M = m*a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

SOLUTION 2
    ----------

I know that the vehicle pushes on the door at pt. O (but I don't know magnitude or direction):

F = force vector applied to pt. O

F has magnitude f in the [tex]\theta[/tex]F direction. To see what this force does to the door, I move F to the center of gravity (pt. cg). The moment caused by moving this vector is:

M = R x F

R is the vector from pt. cg to pt. O. "x" is the cross product.

Now I know how the body will move for a given force vector.

A_CG = F/m
    ALPHA = M/I

ALPHA is the radial acceleration vector, and A_CG is the acceleration vector of pt. cg.

I want to figure out what force vector will cause the door to move such that the hinge point accelerates in the x direction with magnitude a[tex]_{}o[/tex]. I can then calculate the moment.

To find acceleration of pt. O:

A_O = A_CG + OMEGA x ( OMEGA x R ) + ALPHA x R

My vectors ([x,y,z]' indicates a column vector):

OMEGA = omega*[0,0,1]'
    R = r*[-cos([tex]\theta[/tex]),-sin([tex]\theta[/tex]),0]'
    F = f*[cos([tex]\theta[/tex]F),sin([tex]\theta[/tex]F),0]'
    ALPHA = M/I = 1/I * R X F

From here out I'll use:

c[tex]\theta[/tex] = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]), st = sin([tex]\theta[/tex])
    c[tex]\theta[/tex]f = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]F), stf = sin([tex]\theta[/tex]F)

My x direction and y direction equations come out to:

a[tex]_{}o[/tex] = f/m*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f + omega^2*r*c[tex]\theta[/tex] - r^2*f/I*s[tex]\theta[/tex]*(c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f-s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f)
    0 = f/m*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f + omega^2*r*s[tex]\theta[/tex] + r^2*f/I*c[tex]\theta[/tex]*(c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f-s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f)

I can combine the two equations to get rid of the omega^2*r terms. Divide the first equation by c[tex]\theta[/tex] then subtract the second equation divided by s[tex]\theta[/tex].

a[tex]_{}o[/tex]/c[tex]\theta[/tex] = f/m*(c[tex]\theta[/tex]f/c[tex]\theta[/tex]-s[tex]\theta[/tex]f/s[tex]\theta[/tex]) + r^2*f/I*(c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f-s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f)*(-s[tex]\theta[/tex]/c[tex]\theta[/tex]-c[tex]\theta[/tex]/s[tex]\theta[/tex])

Multiply both sides by st*ct

a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex] = f/m*(s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f-c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f) + r^2*f/I*(s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f-c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f)
    a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex] = f*(s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f-c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f)*(1/m+r^2/I)

f = a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]/((s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f-c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f)*(1/m+r^2/I))
    M = R x F = r*f*(s[tex]\theta[/tex]*c[tex]\theta[/tex]f-c[tex]\theta[/tex]*s[tex]\theta[/tex]f) (magnitude of M)

M = a[tex]_{}o[/tex]*r*sin([tex]\theta[/tex])/(1/m+r^2/I)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted