1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment relative to a different axis

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    if i have a case of a number of forces all working in 3d space, for example the following diagram of 2 tension forces

http://picasaweb.google.com/devanlevin/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_4l4PpvP_YsQE&pli=1&gsessionid=oBksCECRwcHSRoX-oRPaRA#5329455433140212770 [Broken]

and i am asked to find the total moment relative to an axis different to (x, y, z) axis, in this case, i am asked to find the moment relative to the 'OB' axis.

can i say that since the line OB passes through the origin O, the moment relative to OB will be the same as the total moment relative to my original axis'?

what i did was say that the moment is the cross product of ==> R x F
    R= distance from the axis OB to the line of the force
    F= Force

so i could take any point on the axis and any point on the line of the force, for example, take point O from axis OB, and point C on the line of the force and i get R=(OC) now that is the exact cross product i used to find the moment around O,
    in the end i get x, y, z, display for my moment,

M=1619i - 2699j + 2258k

is that the correct way to display my answer or is there some way i can get it to one number which is the total moment only on the OB axis

BUT THAT DOESNT LOOK RIGHT TO ME,
    i dont think that Mob should have any magnitude on the X axis since the line OB is on the y-z plane:

i thought that maybe i could do this:

since i can find the angle of OB, (comes to 26.565 degrees) i can say that since OB is on the YZ plane, the moment can only be My and Mz, so the moment around OB is:

(My/cos(26.565))j + (Mz/sin(26.565))k

is this correct??

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?