Why is the torque about R used in this problem?

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the distance x from point P and considering moments about point R. The calculations lead to the equation 40gx - 120g + 15g = 5g, which results in x = 2.75m. However, the mark scheme shows x = 3.25m and uses a different approach, considering the boy and box Q to be on the same side. The expert summarizer points out that when x > 3, the boy is on the right and the torque he exerts is clockwise, while x < 3 results in an anticlockwise torque. There is no assumption made about the boy's position in relation to point R.
trew
Homework Statement
as below
Relevant Equations
as below
2019ialmoments.JPG

So I let x be the distance from P.

I then considered moments about R and got this:

1) (40g)(x-3) = 40gx - 120g and this is anticlockwise
2) (30g)(0.5) = 15g and this is anticlockwise
3) (2.5g)(2) = 5g and this is clockwise

And then by equating clockwise and anticlockwise I get this:

40gx - 120g + 15g = 5g

40gx = 110g

x = 110/44
x = 2.75m

But the mark scheme says this is wrong? They've got it as 3.25m. This is what they used as moments about R:

(40g)(x-3) + (2.5g)(2) = (30g)(0.5)

I don't get how they can consider the boy and the box Q to be on the same side??

Physics news on Phys.org
trew said:
1) (40g)(x-3) = 40gx - 120g and this is anticlockwise
Is it?
trew said:
I don't get how they can consider the boy and the box Q to be on the same side??
When x>3 (40g)(x-3) is positive. Which way will the torque be?

Likes trew
haruspex said:
Is it?

When x>3 (40g)(x-3) is positive. Which way will the torque be?

So when x>3, this will be on the right hand side of the point R making it clockwise, but why do I assume that the boy stands on the right hand side of R?

trew said:
why do I assume that the boy stands on the right hand side of R?
You are not making that assumption. When x > 3, the boy is on the right and the torque he exerts about the fulcrum is clockwise; when x < 3 the torque is still "(40g)(x-3) clockwise" because that value is negative, and a negative value for a clockwise torque means it is actually an anticlockwise torque, which it will be.

Likes trew

What is the concept of torque about R in physics?

The concept of torque about R is used to describe the rotational force on an object around a specific point or axis. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force and the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

Why is torque about R important in solving problems?

Torque about R is important because it helps us understand how forces act on an object to cause rotational motion. It is also crucial in solving problems involving equilibrium and calculating the amount of work done on an object.

How is torque about R calculated?

Torque about R is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation, and then taking the sine of the angle between the two. This can be represented by the equation ΣT = F x d x sin(θ).

Can torque about R be negative?

Yes, torque about R can be negative if the direction of the force and the direction of rotation are opposite to each other. This indicates that the force is trying to rotate the object in the opposite direction of its current rotation.

What is the unit of measurement for torque about R?

The unit of measurement for torque about R is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).