1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments and couples

1. Oct 21, 2016 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    upload_2016-10-21_21-17-57.png

I know how to calculate the resultant moments and forces but in the solution, it says to turn into a force couple system at point G, and then solve for where the resultant should be on the line FG, and then GH.
    upload_2016-10-21_21-19-12.png
    My question is, what is the question even saying in the first place when it states that the rivet cannot withstand a couple. Isn't a couple a pair of parallel forces that produces motion? And as a result I don't understand what the solution means.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Oct 22, 2016 #3
    I get that but when the problem says the rivet can't stand a couple, what does that mean? Does it mean that it can't stand rotation?

5. Oct 22, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I just told you - and you said "I get that"... how about applying scientific method to decipher the problem?
    What are the possibilies? How could you test them?

6. Oct 22, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps think about how rivets work (I mean one on its own).

7. Oct 22, 2016 #6
    Ok so the rivet will prevent translational motion but not rotational. But does this mean any rotation at all whether the rotational axis is on the rivet or not? And thus after obtaining the force couple system at g, you move the resultant in such a way that it cancels out the moment at g?

8. Oct 23, 2016 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you ever seen a rivet before?
    Do you know how they work?

9. Oct 23, 2016 #8
    Honestly no. This problem has confused me a lot. What I've interpreted so far is the resultant force must act on the rivet because it will be the only thing preventing motion? And since it can't withstand a couple, it basically cannot withstand rotation?

10. Oct 25, 2016 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Correct.

_One_ rivet will act like a single bolt. It can clamp two plates together so there could be some friction resisting rotation but a line of rivets would be much more effective in resisting rotation. If there was a line of rivets all but one would have to shear for there to be rotation.

11. Oct 25, 2016 #10
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted