Determining Support Reactions at A&E: Get Help Now!

In summary, the direction in which the forces act is opposite of the direction in which the moments act.
smr101
How do I determine the support reactions at A & E in this example?

eJ9pR.jpg

Help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried writing equations of static equilibrium for this frame?

SteamKing said:
Have you tried writing equations of static equilibrium for this frame?

How?

Have you written equations of static equilibrium for any structure before?

SteamKing said:
Have you written equations of static equilibrium for any structure before?

Right I've worked it out.

I've got E vertical as 50kN.

A horizontal as -30kN, vertical as -50kN.

Only problem is the answers have them listed as these values but I have all of the signs wrong.

smr101 said:
Right I've worked it out.

I've got E vertical as 50kN.

A horizontal as -30kN, vertical as -50kN.

Only problem is the answers have them listed as these values but I have all of the signs wrong.
This indicates that the direction in which you assumed the reactions are acting is opposite of the direction in which they act.

SteamKing said:
This indicates that the direction in which you assumed the reactions are acting is opposite of the direction in which they act.

Yeah, I get that, I'm unsure why the answer is in correct.

Here's my working for vertical E:

About A

∑M = (10 x 3) + (20 x 6) - (E x 3)
= 150 - 3E
Ev = 50

The correct answer is - 50

Any idea where I've gone wrong?

Thanks.

If you don't set up a convention for what constitutes a positive direction for forces and a positive orientation for moments, your equilibrium equations often will give you incorrect signs in the results.

It helps to write both equilibrium equations. There should be an equation for the forces such that ∑F = 0, just as there is one for the moments, ∑M = 0.

∑M = (10 x 3) + (20 x 6) - (E x 3)

What SteamKing said. Its much better to write...

I define clockwise as +ve and then

(+10 x 3) + (+20 x 6) + (?E x 3) = 0

Note: I have explicitly written the sign in front of the 10 and 20N. The "+" sign before the E is because I am summing the moments, it is NOT because I have assumed E has any particular direction. To further clarify I have put a ? indicating the sign of E is unknown. I wouldn't normally put a ? mark but you can if it helps.

Rearrange

?E = - {(+10 x 3) + (+20 x 6)} / 3

?E = - 50

So the unknown sign of E is -ve. That means E acts anticlockwise (eg downwards).

Last edited:

What is the purpose of determining support reactions at A&E?

The purpose of determining support reactions at A&E is to analyze and understand the forces acting on a structure, such as a building or bridge, in order to ensure its stability and safety.

What factors are involved in determining support reactions at A&E?

Factors involved in determining support reactions at A&E include the weight and distribution of the structure, external forces such as wind or earthquakes, and the material properties of the structure itself.

How is the process of determining support reactions at A&E carried out?

The process of determining support reactions at A&E involves using mathematical equations and principles of statics to calculate the forces acting on the structure and determine the reactions at its support points.

Why is it important to accurately determine support reactions at A&E?

It is important to accurately determine support reactions at A&E in order to ensure the safety and stability of the structure. Incorrect calculations or assumptions about the support reactions could lead to structural failure and potential harm to people and property.

Can determining support reactions at A&E be done manually or is computer software necessary?

Determining support reactions at A&E can be done manually using equations and calculations, but computer software can also be used to assist with more complex structures or to save time and increase accuracy.