1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments - I am so confused please help

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"In raising the pole from the position show, the tension T in the cable must supply a moment about O of 72 Knm. Determine T."

2. Relevant equations

M = Fd

3. The attempt at a solution

d = 12sin(30) = 6m
    T = 72/d
    ==> 12m

I do not know what I am doing wrong here. I'm assuming there is a problem with "12sin(30)" but I checked atleast 3 times and I still get the same eq. Please assist in any manner possible. Thank You in advance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The moment of a force about a point O is the force times the perpendicular distance from the line of action of that force to the point O (M=F(d_perp)). Alternatively, the moment of a force about point O is the force times the distance from the point of the application of the force to point O, times the sine of the included angle between the two (M = rF sin theta = 30Tsin theta in this example). This becomes a geometrry/trig problem, where you must determine theta using the appropraite trig functions (as in using the law of sines and cosines, for example).

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    Now I'm not too sure if I understand you correctly here, but what I make out of your response is that the angle between, I believe it to be 30 degrees; you take the sin of the angle and then multiply that by the force, in this case T.

Doing that I arrive at the conclusion that 30Tsin(30) = 72 and solving for T results a 4.8 knm

I see the answer is wrong and am still unable to make out how to correctly solve this problem. Unfortunately I have a quiz on this material tomorrow evening at 6 and I need your help in trying to understand how to do this problem, for which the author of the book decided not to give the EDIT: workto.

The final answer is 8.65 knm. Could you kindly walk me step by step through the problem so that I can clearly understand how it is done? (I agree my trig is horrible)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi zrome! :smile:
    Where do you get 30º from? :confused:

Hint: draw the vertical line from the top of the cable to the ground … so you have a right-angled triangle, and you want to know the sine of one of the angles. :wink:

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good hint by tiny-tim, to get the height of the vertical line. And, you can compute the horizontal projection of the pole on the ground, right? After that... Hint: Use definition of tan to compute an angle.

7. Jun 30, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi nvn! :smile:

Actually, we don't need to know the angle …

we only want its sine, whch we can get from the sides of the right-angled triangle (and Pythagoras) :wink:

8. Jul 1, 2009 #7
    Ya computed the vertical line and was able to see the big triangle I was missing. Thank you for all the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook