Moments of Forces: Check R1 Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation for R1, which is a force acting on a structure. The speaker asks for clarification on the horizontal distances and suggests using a force acting at a 45-degree angle. The conversation ends with the suggestion to fill in more lengths and angles in triangles D and E.
anthonyk2013
Are my calculations for R1 correct.

Attachments

• space diagram 14-11 02 001.jpg
    space diagram 14-11 02 001.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
anthonyk2013 said:
Are my calculations for R1 correct.
I don't understand what's R1,Is it the force or the moment?Can you please write the calculations in the editor?It's difficult to read it

sorry about poor hand writing, not sure how to use editor.
hope image is clearer now.

R1 is a force.

Attachments

• force 17-nov 001.jpg
    force 17-nov 001.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 405
I don't think you have the horizontal distances right. Triangles E and G are isosceles, yes? How are you calculating the horizontal displacement to the vertical load?

yes E and G are isosceles and if you split D in half you get two more isosceles, draw a vertical line R1 to the pin on the left the distance is 2 square root of 3.

10KN acts down from B on that vertical line and on graph paper its 1/2 root of 3.

10 KN acts down from CH to vertical line and the distance is 1 1/2 root 3.

should I be using the force acting at 45deg at B along the line EF?

anthonyk2013 said:
yes E and G are isosceles and if you split D in half you get two more isosceles, draw a vertical line R1 to the pin on the left the distance is 2 square root of 3.
you seem to be assuming that the vertical line through the top left pin is halfway to the midpoint of the whole structure. It isn't. Fill in as many lengths and angles as you can in triangles D and E.

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

1. What is a moment of force?

A moment of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you calculate the moment of force?

The moment of force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation, also known as the pivot point, to the line of action of the force. This can be represented by the formula M = F x d, where M is the moment of force, F is the force, and d is the distance.

3. What is the difference between a clockwise and counterclockwise moment of force?

A clockwise moment of force causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while a counterclockwise moment of force causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. This is determined by the direction in which the force is applied in relation to the axis of rotation.

4. How do you check the R1 calculation for moments of force?

To check the R1 calculation for moments of force, you need to ensure that the force and distance values used in the calculation are correct and accurate. Additionally, you should also check that the direction of the force is correctly represented in the calculation.

5. Can moments of force be negative?

Yes, moments of force can be negative. This occurs when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the rotation or when the force and distance values used in the calculation have opposite signs. A negative moment of force indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the applied force.