1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments problem

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see attached picture

2. Relevant equations
    principal of moments IMG_3477.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    part a) is fine. For part b, I would Normally take moments about C. The force acting on BC at B must be the tension in AB. The geometry of the triangle gives and angle of 53.1 to the horizontal, and moments gives a force of 250N. However the solution in my book says 290N at and angle of 43.6 degree to the horizontal, so I'm not sure if I have missed something, taking into account compressive tension along BC doesn't seem to work. Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you assuming that the force at BC is along the line BA? That would give you 53.1o, but is not necessarily the case.

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3
    edit; I assume the book answer is taking into account some lateral force also on AB, but I don't see how I would calculate that.

5. Feb 21, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at rod BC. What would the forces acting on it look like? How big a vertical component do you have at B acting on rod BC? Rod BA would have an equal amount acting on it at B but in the opposite direction (Newton's 3rd law). Now, if you can find the horizontal component on BA at point B, you can find the tangent of the angle that you are seeking without any assumptions about its value.

6. Feb 21, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw a FBD of rod BA and demand that it be in equilibrium, just like you did for the entire triangle. You know (or should be able to figure out) all but the lateral force.

On edit: Don't forget there is a force with a vertical and horizontal component at point A as well.

7. Feb 21, 2017 #6
    I get it now, thank you. I did moments on AB, gives a lateral force of 210N, which then works out to give the answer in the book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted