Moments Question Homework: Varignon's Theorem & Finding Axis

• Thread starter nothingsus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the conversation is about using Varignons theorem to solve a problem involving moments and finding points on the x-axis and y-axis that have zero moment. It is also discussed that the x component of the force always causes a clockwise rotation, while the y component does not cause any rotation.
nothingsus

Homework Statement

VEB6QiA.png

o93AW8C.png

Homework Equations

tau = r x F

varignons theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the diagram and the moment arm method and the component of the force perpendicular to vector OA seemed hard to find, so I used varignons theorem.

tau = -abs(5000*5)+abs(6000*-4) = -16000 (which seems to be correct)

I don't understand the second part of the question however.
Is it asking me to find new points for the axis of rotation (one on the y-axis and one on the x axis) such that the moment about each point is zero? The answers suggest that I'm just finding the x and y intercepts. e.g. if I find some point on the y axis, won't the x component of the force always cause a clockwise rotation, and the y component won't cause any rotation because it is parallel; so how can the moment be zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothingsus said:
if I find some point on the y axis, won't the x component of the force always cause a clockwise rotation
There will be a point on the y-axis such that F has no moment about it. If you do it by breaking F into x and y components, each component will have a moment about the point, and the two will cancel.

1. What is Varignon's Theorem and how is it used in finding axis?

Varignon's Theorem states that the sum of the moments of a system of coplanar forces about any point is equal to the moment of the resultant force about the same point. This theorem is used in finding the axis of a system of forces by simplifying the calculation of the moment of a force about a point.

2. How is Varignon's Theorem applied in real-life situations?

Varignon's Theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics applications, such as calculating the bending moment in a beam or determining the center of gravity of an object.

3. Can Varignon's Theorem be applied to non-coplanar forces?

No, Varignon's Theorem only applies to a system of coplanar forces, meaning that all the forces must be acting in the same plane. If the forces are not coplanar, a different approach must be used to calculate the moments.

4. How does Varignon's Theorem relate to the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for a system in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments about any point is equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments about the same point. Varignon's Theorem is an extension of this principle, allowing for the calculation of the resultant moment of a system of forces about any point.

5. Are there any limitations to Varignon's Theorem?

One limitation of Varignon's Theorem is that it only applies to rigid bodies, meaning that the forces and points of application must not change in relation to each other. It also assumes that the forces are acting at a single point, rather than being distributed along a line or area.