1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments question

1. Jun 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    VEB6QiA.png
    o93AW8C.png

2. Relevant equations
    tau = r x F

varignons theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew the diagram and the moment arm method and the component of the force perpendicular to vector OA seemed hard to find, so I used varignons theorem.

tau = -abs(5000*5)+abs(6000*-4) = -16000 (which seems to be correct)

I don't understand the second part of the question however.
    Is it asking me to find new points for the axis of rotation (one on the y axis and one on the x axis) such that the moment about each point is zero? The answers suggest that I'm just finding the x and y intercepts.

e.g. if I find some point on the y axis, won't the x component of the force always cause a clockwise rotation, and the y component won't cause any rotation because it is parallel; so how can the moment be zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There will be a point on the y axis such that F has no moment about it. If you do it by breaking F into x and y components, each component will have a moment about the point, and the two will cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted