Solving Collision of Billiard Balls: Speed and Direction

In summary: Then the velocity is 2.395m/s.But it's best to just use the pythagorean theorem when you need the speed... you don't need to worry about the angles. sqrt(1.58^2 + (1.8)^2) = 2.395m/s
aligass2004

Homework Statement

Similar to the other one...
On billiard ball is shot east at 2.6m/s. A second, identical billiard ball is shot west at .8m/s. The balls have a glancing collision, not a head-on collision, deflecting the second ball by 90 degrees and sending it north at 1.58m/s. What are the speed and direction of the first ball after the collision?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using (P1x)f + (P2x)f = (P1x)i + (P2x)i ----> (m1xv1x)f + (m2xv2x)f = (m1xv1x)i + (m2xv2x)i. I tried solving for (v1x)f. I assumed since the billiard balls are identical that the mass cancels out.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, the masses cancel. Looks like you have the right idea. can you show your calculations?

V1f = V1i + V2i - V2f
= 2.6 + .8 - 1.58 = 1.82

aligass2004 said:
V1f = V1i + V2i - V2f
= 2.6 + .8 - 1.58 = 1.82

but 1.58 is not in the x-direction... what is the Vxf of the second ball?

I didn't realize that. The Vxf of the 2nd ball is zero since it isn't moving in the x direction anymore.

aligass2004 said:
I didn't realize that. The Vxf of the 2nd ball is zero since it isn't moving in the x direction anymore.

exactly.

Ok, so I tried V1f = 2.6 + .8 = 3.4, but that wasn't right.

aligass2004 said:
Ok, so I tried V1f = 2.6 + .8 = 3.4, but that wasn't right.

Oh, sorry I didn't notice... you should have -0.8, not 0.8.

use east positive. west negative. north positive. south negative.

Alright, this time I tried V1f = 2.6 - .8 = 1.8, but it again wasn't right.

aligass2004 said:
Alright, this time I tried V1f = 2.6 - .8 = 1.8, but it again wasn't right.

that's only in the east west direction... you also need to consider the north south direction.

I thought the question was asking for the components separately. I just noticed now it only asks for speed. I'm sorry... wish I realized before you submitted again...

get the north south component, same way you got the east/west component... then get the speed using pythagorean theorem.

Blah...freaking components. Ok, for the north/south component, V1f = V1i + V2i - V2f -----> V1f = 0 + 0 -1.58. There's only one problem with using the pythagorean theroem. With the last problem, I figured out the angle really easily since both components were the same. I don't know the angle with this one.

aligass2004 said:
Blah...freaking components. Ok, for the north/south component, V1f = V1i + V2i - V2f -----> V1f = 0 + 0 -1.58. There's only one problem with using the pythagorean theroem. With the last problem, I figured out the angle really easily since both components were the same. I don't know the angle with this one.

you can get the angle using arctan(vy/vx). be careful before you submit though... how do they ask for the angle? Do they want the angle from the east axis etc..?

They ask for degrees in the south east direction.

So the angle would be -41.276 degrees, but it would be positive since they want it in the SE direction, right?

aligass2004 said:
So the angle would be -41.276 degrees, but it would be positive since they want it in the SE direction, right?

yeah, but it is East 41.276 degrees South...

Do they just say SE... because it could be east of south or south of east... that makes a difference...

It says south of east

aligass2004 said:
It says south of east

Cool. Then 41.276 is right.

Ok so the angle was right, but I don't know the velocity...and I'm out of tries. I tried the -1.58 = vcos(theta).

aligass2004 said:
Ok so the angle was right, but I don't know the velocity...and I'm out of tries. I tried the -1.58 = vcos(theta).

The 1.58 is the sin. so vsin(41.276) = 1.58. v = 2.395m/s.

But it's best to just use the pythagorean theorem when you need the speed... you don't need to worry about the angles. sqrt(1.58^2 + (1.8)^2) = 2.395m/s

Alright.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a billiard ball after a collision?

The speed of a billiard ball after a collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum principle. This means that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. To calculate the speed, you will need to know the mass and velocity of both balls before and after the collision.

2. What factors affect the direction of a billiard ball after a collision?

The direction of a billiard ball after a collision is affected by several factors, such as the angle at which the balls collide, the mass and velocity of the balls, and the elasticity of the balls. The angle of collision is especially important, as a head-on collision will result in the balls bouncing off at equal and opposite angles, while an angled collision will result in the balls changing direction.

3. How does the elasticity of the balls impact the outcome of a collision?

The elasticity of the balls, or their ability to deform and then return to their original shape, plays a significant role in the outcome of a collision. In a perfectly elastic collision, the kinetic energy of the balls is conserved, meaning that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. In a perfectly inelastic collision, the balls stick together and the kinetic energy is not conserved. Most collisions fall somewhere in between these two extremes.

4. Can you predict the outcome of a billiard ball collision?

While the laws of physics can be used to calculate the outcome of a billiard ball collision, it is difficult to predict with 100% accuracy due to the many variables involved. Factors such as the surface of the table, air resistance, and small imperfections in the balls can all affect the outcome. However, with precise measurements and calculations, a scientist can make a fairly accurate prediction of the collision.

5. How are billiard ball collisions used in real-world applications?

Billiard ball collisions are used in various real-world applications, such as in car crashes, sports equipment design, and even in particle accelerators. By understanding the principles of momentum and energy conservation, scientists and engineers can design safer cars and equipment, and physicists can study the behavior of subatomic particles. The study of billiard ball collisions also helps us better understand the laws of physics and how they govern our world.