1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum against a wall

1. Sep 29, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question: A stream of water from a hose is hitting a window. The window is vertical, the stream is horizontal, and the water stops when it hits. About 20cm(cubed), that is 20g, of water with speed 1.5 m/s strikes the window each second. Find a) the impulse on the window in time t and b) the force exerted on the window.

2. Relevant equations
    I= delta p = mv -mu = Ft
    f= delta p/t = mv-mu/t
    s=ut +1/2 at (the last t is squared)

3. The attempt at a solution
    well i originally tried to split this problem up into it vertical and horizontal components, saying that the water would follow a hyperbelar (i forget how to spell it) shape.

then i used the s=ut for the horizontal component (the rest of the equation isn't needed as the water doesnt accelerate horizontally and therefore is a 0 value) but then found that s and t arnt known.

i have a feeling it has something to do with the 20g of water with a force of 1.5m/s every second but i dont know what to do!

please help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Indeed.

What's the momentum of the water that hits the window every second? What's its change in momentum, thus impulse. If that's for 1 second, what would it be for t seconds?

4. Sep 29, 2007 #3
    delta p = mv-mu
    -20 x 1.5 = -30

okay thats for 1 second,
    but its the t seconds thing that gets me

and thanks for helping

5. Sep 30, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Good.
    Think about it. If the impulse is 30 kg-m/s for 1 sec, what would it be for 2 seconds? 3 seconds? t seconds? (It's easy.)

6. Sep 30, 2007 #5
    so 30t

haha right, i cant believe i didn't get that before :P

one problem; the answer in the back of the book is 0.03t N s

7. Sep 30, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's because Doc and you were talking about 30kg of water and the problem says 30g.

8. Sep 30, 2007 #7
    lol thanks dick

9. Oct 1, 2007 #8

Doc Al

D'oh! :redface: Thanks, Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?