Momentum & Angles Homework: Find Total Momentum

In summary, the total momentum of the system consisting of a golf ball and a baseball is __ kg·m/s and __° (from the +x axis). To find the total momentum, you must add the two momenta as vectors, taking into account the direction of each object's velocity. The equation to use is P=mv, and you can also use the concept of Center of Mass to understand the system's momentum.
SuperCass

Homework Statement

A golf ball of mass 0.045 kg is moving in the +x-direction with a speed of 6.10 m/s, and a baseball of mass 0.145 kg is moving in the -y-direction with a speed of 2.20 m/s. What are the magnitude and direction of the total momentum of the system consisting of the two balls?

_________kg·m/s

_________° (from the +x axis)

Homework Equations

P=mv and I'm not sure what else...

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said that we should be able to teach ourselves momentum, so as one might be able to tell, I'm not sure where to start.
I tried doing (.045x6.1) + (.145x2.2) = P, but that didn't work. How should I start? Are there other equations I should know?

Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you learn about center of mass? I'm sure your textbook probably has a section on it. The momentum of the system is the same as the momentum of the center of mass of the system.

SuperCass said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher said that we should be able to teach ourselves momentum, so as one might be able to tell, I'm not sure where to start.
I tried doing (.045x6.1) + (.145x2.2) = P, but that didn't work. How should I start? Are there other equations I should know?

Thank you so much for your help!

Momentum is a vector, with the same direction as the velocity of the object. You need to add the two momenta as vectors; don't simply add (.045x6.1)+(.145x2.2).

I just solved it, thank you everyone!

(I did pythagorean theorum and for the angle I just did tangent!)

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum conserved?

Momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total momentum of all objects involved in a collision or interaction will remain constant. This is based on Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system is constant. This means that in a collision or interaction, the total momentum before the event will be equal to the total momentum after the event.

How do you calculate the total momentum?

The total momentum is calculated by adding together the individual momenta of all objects involved in the system. This can be done by multiplying each object's mass by its velocity and then adding the results together.

How do angles affect momentum?

Angles can affect momentum by changing the direction of an object's velocity. Momentum is a vector quantity, so changes in direction will also result in changes in momentum. This can be seen in collisions where the angle of impact can affect the direction and magnitude of the objects' momenta after the collision.