Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Collision

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    Okay this is a question about after two balls collide knowing their speeds and directions and mass before collision, what is their speed and direction after collision in two dimensional space.

more specifically i need to know this because i am programming a game in which i need accurate ball behavior so, assuming collision occurs at the origin, and ball one comes from x degrees and ball 2 comes from x degrees, and i know their speeds, and can make up a mass for them based on their size,

how do i figure out their direction and speed? also note that at this point i am ignoring friction or anyother outside forces, but that will change in later development

thanks for any help and guidance you could give me

Cruncher,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    You need to use the equation for collisions. I don't know whether in your case it is elastic or inelastic. Write an equation for each dimension, one for all momentum in the x direction and one for all the momentum in the y direction.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    it is not elastic, it is as though 2 billiard balls hit eachother.. do you know where i could find these equations? thanks

Cruncher

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook