1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and Collision

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    Okay this is a question about after two balls collide knowing their speeds and directions and mass before collision, what is their speed and direction after collision in two dimensional space.

more specifically i need to know this because i am programming a game in which i need accurate ball behavior so, assuming collision occurs at the origin, and ball one comes from x degrees and ball 2 comes from x degrees, and i know their speeds, and can make up a mass for them based on their size,

how do i figure out their direction and speed? also note that at this point i am ignoring friction or anyother outside forces, but that will change in later development

thanks for any help and guidance you could give me

Cruncher,

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    You need to use the equation for collisions. I don't know whether in your case it is elastic or inelastic. Write an equation for each dimension, one for all momentum in the x direction and one for all the momentum in the y direction.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    it is not elastic, it is as though 2 billiard balls hit eachother.. do you know where i could find these equations? thanks

Cruncher

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook