Are Momentum Equations Different for Elastic and Inelastic Collisions?

In summary, there are two different equations for conservation of linear momentum, one for perfectly elastic collisions and one for perfectly inelastic collisions. The first equation also takes into account conservation of energy, while the second one only considers momentum conservation. The type of collision can be determined by looking for keywords such as "elastic" or "inelastic" in the problem.
Hanga
This is not dircectly a coursework question, rather I need someone to tell me what is correct and what is not correct in my assumption of Momentum and collisions, esp conservation of linear momentum.

For some reason I stand to believe there are two diffirent equations for conservation of linear momentum Pbefore=Pafter. In one case we have

m1u1+m2u2 = m1v1m1v2

In the other we have
1/2m1u1^2 + 1/2m2u2^2 = 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2

For some reson I stand to believe that they are for Perfectly inelastic collisions and Elastic collisions respectivly. Is this the case? Is there some "key word" in a work question that I can look for to say "Ah! I'm going to have use equation x"?

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum is only the first equation you wrote. The second one is the conservation of energy (the expression assumes the potential energy remains constant). Kinetic energy is conserved along with momentum in an elastic collision.

Perfectly elastic collisions (Momentum and kinetic energy are both conserved):
[itex] m_1 u_1 + m_2 u_2= m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2[/itex] and [itex]\frac{1}{2}m_1 u_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2 u_2^2 = \frac{1}{2}m_1 v_1^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2 v_2^2 [/itex]

Perfectly inelastic collisions (Only momentum is conserved):
[itex] m_1 u_1 + m_2 u_2 = (m_1 + m_2) v^2[/itex]

What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that momentum is conserved, and no momentum is lost or gained during a collision.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = mv.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that both momentum and energy are conserved during the collision, and the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that during the collision, some of the energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation. In an inelastic collision, momentum is still conserved.