Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and fourier series

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Both (i d/dx) and (-i d/dx ) are Hermitian. For some reason (-i d/dx ) is chosen to be the momentum operator, and the consequences are that [x,p]=ih (and not -ih), and that [tex]e^{ipx} [/tex] is an eigenvalue of momentum p (and not -p).

Is there any fundamental reason why [x,p] can't be -ih, and [tex]e^{ipx} [/tex] can't have an eigenvalue -p, so that the momentum operator can be (i d/dx) ?

When dealing with Fourier series, [tex]f(x)=\int d^3p \mbox{ } f(p) e^{-ipx} [/tex] would be incorrect, right? It would have to be [tex]f(x)=\int d^3p \mbox{ } f(p) e^{ipx} [/tex] if you choose (-i d/dx )?

Do most math books use [tex]f(x)=\int d^3p \mbox{ } f(p) e^{-ipx} [/tex] or [tex]f(x)=\int d^3p \mbox{ } f(p) e^{ipx} [/tex] for their definition of a Fourier series? Which convention do you use for a Fourier series?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no fundamental reason. In fact, all quantum mechanics (indeed, all mathematics) remains valid under the substitution, everywhere, of i -> -i. The reason is that there is some ambiguity in defining i in the first place. There are two square roots of -1, after all.

The convention I use for Fourier integrals is

[tex]f(x) = \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3} \; f(p) e^{ipx}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook