1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and horizontal speed

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When tossed upward and hit horizontally by a batter, a .24kg softball recieves an impulse of 2.7 N*s. With what horizontal speed does the ball move away from the bat?

2. Relevant equations

Here are all the equations that were in our notes for this section.
    p (momentum) There was triangle P and triange t in my notes, so I wrote "change in"

f*"change in"t="change in"p
    f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi
    "change in" P=mvf-mvi
    3. The attempt at a solution

I really was not sure what equation I should use because I didnt really know what the impulse was. I chose f*"change in"t=mvf-mvi.
    2.7 N*s= (.24kg)(0m/s)-(.24kg)(v)
    I got v=-11.25m/s. I know this was wrong, but Im not sure which equation I was supposed to use or if I entered the information correctly in to the equation. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    You can treat this as a collision.
  4. Nov 9, 2008 #3
    A collision? What type of equation is that?
  5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
  6. Nov 9, 2008 #5
    So, what would the 2.7 N*s be considered?
  7. Nov 9, 2008 #6
    What are the units of Ns?
  8. Nov 9, 2008 #7
    Im not really sure. I think it is Neutons*second. Im pretty sure it is the impulse.
  9. Nov 9, 2008 #8
    1 N = 1 kg*m/s/s.

So, 2.7 N*s = 2.7 kg*m/s.

So, the impulse has a "mass" and a "velocity."

The ball isn't moving in the x-direction so its initial velocity is 0. Solve, the impulse goes away.
  10. Nov 9, 2008 #9
    ok so in that equation you gave me:

Its all going to work out to be 0? I am really confused. I know you are trying so hard to help me, but Im lost... =]
  11. Nov 9, 2008 #10
    0.24kg ( 0 m/s ) + Impulse = 0.24kg ( V m/s ).
  12. Nov 9, 2008 #11
    Oh wow so I was really close with my first answer...It was just negative and I needed it to be positive! Thank you. =]
  13. Nov 9, 2008 #12
    You're welcome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?