1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum and impulse

1. Oct 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 12 kg shell is launched at an angle of 55 degrees above horizontal with v_O = 150 m/s. When at highest point, it explodes into two fragments, M_1 with mass 9 kg and M_2 with mass 3 kg. The fragments reach the ground at the same time. The heavier fragment lands back at the same point - where does the lighter fragment land?

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I know that the speed at the top is V_x = 86 m/s. For the heavier fragment to land at the same point, it must have the same v_initial (150 m/s) but opposite direction, so v_x must be changed -2 times (so it's -86 m/s) and v_y = -122 m/s.
    THen I say that momentum of single fragment before explosion equals total momentum of the two fragments - but I get that the speed of the lighter fragment is very high!

Where am I wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2007 #2
    I got it.. m_1 = 3*m_2 and v_2 = 3*v_1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?