Solving Momentum & Impulse for Particles A, B & C

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving particles A, B, and C and their respective velocities and masses. It is determined that there will be three impacts between the particles and the final velocities are found using equations involving momentum and the coefficient of restitution. The question is also raised about the definition of the coefficient of restitution.
kingyof2thejring
Hi there,
i need to know if my approch to this question is right

Particles A, B and C , each of mass m, lie at rest in a straight line in the order stated. A is projected directly towards B with velocity u. The coefficient of restitution is 0.5 in each impact that follows. Show that there will be three impacts in total and find the final velocities of each particle.

working with a and b first
work out momentum before mom = mu +0
and momentum after mom = mv1 + mv2
mu = m(v1 +v2)
u = v1 +v2 {1}

then using the equation velocity of separation = e x velocity of approach
v2-v1 = e(u1-u2)
v2-v1 = 0.5(u-0)
v2-v1 = 0.5u {2}

now adding {1} + {2} > v2=0.75u
v1=0.25u

i would appreciate some advice on my technique/approch to this question

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So how do you define the coefficient of restitution??

Daniel.

P.S.Are u sure u don't need the KE equation??Though i think it is not conserved.

i had question to ask,
in the question it says "The coefficient of restitution is 0.5 in each impact that follows" does that mean e does not equal 0.5 for the contact between A and B

The coefficient of restitution gives a measure of how elastic the collision is.

1. How do you calculate momentum for particles A, B, and C?

To calculate momentum for a particle, you need to multiply its mass (m) by its velocity (v). This can be represented by the formula p = mv. For particles A, B, and C, you will need to calculate the momentum for each individual particle using this formula.

2. What is the difference between momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity, while impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum over a period of time. In other words, impulse is the force applied to an object over a certain amount of time that causes a change in its momentum.

3. How do you calculate the impulse for particles A, B, and C?

To calculate impulse, you need to multiply the average force (F) acting on a particle by the time (t) it is applied. This can be represented by the formula J = Ft. For particles A, B, and C, you will need to calculate the impulse for each individual particle using this formula.

4. What are the units of momentum and impulse?

The units of momentum are kg*m/s, while the units of impulse are kg*m/s^2 or N*s.

5. How do you use the principles of momentum and impulse to solve problems involving collisions?

To solve problems involving collisions, you will need to use the principles of conservation of momentum and impulse. This means that the total momentum of the system before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, and the impulse applied to the system during the collision is equal to the change in momentum. By setting up and solving equations based on these principles, you can determine the velocities and directions of particles after a collision.